• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MAFN VS UCB Fin tech

Could anyone provide any suggestion in comparing these two programs?I would like to work in quant finance, and get accepted by both. It is really hard for me to make the decision. I really appreciate if anyone could say something! Thanks.

It takes a long time for a program to build connections to the street. I suspect the MFE has those connections, and this one does not. MFE is in Haas, this is coming from operations research. It seems like one of the Berkeley money grab programs (like the online data science one they were pushing a few years back).

they write: “The FinTech also differs from a Master of Financial Engineering program by being more quantitative and shorter in length.”

I would do a serious comparison there; looking over the required courses, I do not find a lot of evidence supporting this claim.

As far as jobs, These are more middle office / non finance jobs (except the blackrock). Nothing wrong with that - I learned a lot in such a role and am grateful for the opportunity. But it’s not something people typically target coming out of a quantitative masters program.
  • Alpha Strategy Researcher, BlackRock
  • Credit Risk Data Analyst, Prosper Marketplace
  • Data Scientist, Business Analytics, Facebook
  • Data Scientist, CircleUp
  • Portfolio Analytics Analyst, BlackRock
  • Risk Analyst, Prosper Marketplace

It takes a long time for a program to build connections to the street. I suspect the MFE has those connections, and this one does not. MFE is in Haas, this is coming from operations research. It seems like one of the Berkeley money grab programs (like the online data science one they were pushing a few years back).

they write: “The FinTech also differs from a Master of Financial Engineering program by being more quantitative and shorter in length.”

I would do a serious comparison there; looking over the required courses, I do not find a lot of evidence supporting this claim.

As far as jobs, These are more middle office / non finance jobs (except the blackrock). Nothing wrong with that - I learned a lot in such a role and am grateful for the opportunity. But it’s not something people typically target coming out of a quantitative masters program.
  • Alpha Strategy Researcher, BlackRock
  • Credit Risk Data Analyst, Prosper Marketplace
  • Data Scientist, Business Analytics, Facebook
  • Data Scientist, CircleUp
  • Portfolio Analytics Analyst, BlackRock
  • Risk Analyst, Prosper Marketplace
Thank you a lot for your reviewing! I believe the UCB fintech is a newly established program less than 3 years, and I will take more consideration to make the decision.

Fintech program is newly established so it has few connections now with financial firms, if you stick with quantitative finance (quant) roles, choose Columbia.
If you choose to seek positions in silicon valley that has some relationship with finance, then the UCB program has advantages.

Back