• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MAFN Columbia MAFN, who has got decision?

Yeah, thank you for this long insight. I agree that internship is ideal for starters. My point was just to say that finding good internship after two semester long program is also possible. I just didn't like people talking negatively about 2 semester long program on a base that internship is after graduation.
it is true that an internship after graduation works well.
but as for myself, one of the biggest problem comes from the visa. I've heard that for an internship after graduation, your visa will be transferred from F1 into OPT? I've no idea on how difficult to obtain OPT. Besides, compared with local ones, will it be harder for international students to get an internship in NY due to the application of visa after graduation?

it is true that an internship after graduation works well.
but as for myself, one of the biggest problem comes from the visa. I've heard that for an internship after graduation, your visa will be transferred from F1 into OPT? I've no idea on how difficult to obtain OPT. Besides, compared with local ones, will it be harder for international students to get an internship in NY due to the application of visa after graduation?

While on OPT you are still considered to be in F1 status. OPT is an extension of the F1 visa and is available to all F1 students who have studied for more than nine months (typically one academic year). As far as I know it is up to each company whether they hire people on OPT. For full time employment, what I've seen sometimes is that when a student's work visa application is unsuccessful they will hire the student on OPT and try the visa process again the next year. Large companies (including my first employer) will often go immediately to the H-1B visa.

I would argue that it is somewhat more difficult to obtain an internship as an international student (simply because not all firms hire internationals).

I received admission offer yesterday(Tracker Updated). I was initially thinking of going to Chicago Singapore.But it seems Columbia MAFN is the place where I should go to. Fellow Quantnet people who are also thinking of joining,please add me to you list/group/Facebook Group. I am from India (IIT).

Hi KumarAb,
Congrats on your Admit, I am also planning on going To Columbia , Would like to talk to you, kindly let me know your contact details. I am from Delhi, India
Thanks
Pankaj

Hi guys! Is there a Facebook page that has been created for the incoming MAFN students?

I received admission offer yesterday(Tracker Updated). I was initially thinking of going to Chicago Singapore.But it seems Columbia MAFN is the place where I should go to. Fellow Quantnet people who are also thinking of joining,please add me to you list/group/Facebook Group. I am from India (IIT).
Hi, KumarAb
Also going to Columbia , want to get in touch with you. Kindly send in your contact details on my E-mail Id:
pankajmadan2005@gmail.com

Thanks
Pankaj

I just got my admission decision as waitlisted .... I guess the chances now are really really low at this point ....... I wonder why they still waitlisted me ..... I had submitted my application quite late on April 6th ..... I wonder what would have happened if I had turned it in earlier ....

I just got my admission result .... got accepted with no financial aid though ....this is cutting it very close ...Phew ....

congrats, I dont think they give aid to anyone....but you have to rush if you are international student..

congrats, I dont think they give aid to anyone....but you have to rush if you are international student..
I am an intl student ....But I already have an admit from NYU poly ... also paid the admission fees thr .... I think i will get the I20 and pay the SEVIS for Columbia later once I get my VISA stamping since its due in a week .... I know poeple who did that...

aah..you mean you paid tution for semester or just the token fee..if you already have funding arranged you might go for I 20 straight..it takes just week..and another 3-4 days for VISA..

Hi guys..Is there anyone from Bangalore, India who will be joining this Fall?

Um, when? Right now? Or after I settled down in NY?

Hi
I just spoke to my MD in my previous firm Credit Suisse.... He from a recruiter point of view said that short duration of MAFN course is definitely a point of consideration... He said an internship would add much more value to the resume and also help international students get an idea about different jobs in the field plus build contacts too.. In addition he pointed out that most firms avoid recruiting MAFN candidates as they graduate around August / September when the quota for H1B VISAs is exhausted.... Have you found out how the 3 semester thing pans out? Can you give us more details on it ?...

If any one has created the facebook group for incoming student please let me know..Else I am happy to create one.

Hi
I just spoke to my MD in my previous firm Credit Suisse.... He from a recruiter point of view said that short duration of MAFN course is definitely a point of consideration... He said an internship would add much more value to the resume and also help international students get an idea about different jobs in the field plus build contacts too.. In addition he pointed out that most firms avoid recruiting MAFN candidates as they graduate around August / September when the quota for H1B VISAs is exhausted.... Have you found out how the 3 semester thing pans out? Can you give us more details on it ?...

Thank you so much for your information.
I have asked Laurent Breach, the coordinator of MAFN.
He said that more details should be explained during the orientation. In the mail, he explained that for the third semester, you should take at least one selective. Once you've finished the 6 mandatory and 4 selective in 2 semesters, you have to graduate at once.
Besides, written on my I-20 form, the length of program is up to 18 months.
And I have also heard that for MAFN students, it is possible to have an OPT visa for up to 12+17 months.

Back