• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSFE Columbia Masters in Financial Economics

Financial Economics Program by Columbia Business School
Ended up being purely behavioral, my interviewer said that they’re hoping to have decisions end of this week / end of next week; seemed to very much just be a focus on fit/ if your goals line up with the program.

Ended up being purely behavioral, my interviewer said that they’re hoping to have decisions end of this week / end of next week; seemed to very much just be a focus on fit/ if your goals line up with the program.
Did a current student or prof interview you? Interesting we were told different expected timelines, would be great if they had decisions out by end of next week.

Current Finance PhD student at columbia interviewed me (graduated from the program a year or two ago)

What are your guys’ thoughts on having students do the interviews? Do you think this is done because the interviews are really geared towards fit (at least from the 4 of our experiences) and who better to assess fit than current MSFE/Finance PhD students?

My interviewer said the point is to get a gauge for how good of a fit the candidate is going to be for the program from goals / math background / financial acumen, and I think current/ former students do a good job of judging that fit.

it seems like they’re looking for people with work experience in finance that can hit the ground running in the program. He seemed to feel that the programs career services aren’t great, so you shouldn’t be coming with the expectation you’ll get a lot of help there. Having pre-existing networks is super helpful

it seems like they’re looking for people with work experience in finance that can hit the ground running in the program. He seemed to feel that the programs career services aren’t great, so you shouldn’t be coming with the expectation you’ll get a lot of help there. Having pre-existing networks is super helpful
I was regretting having not asked about career services — thank you for posting this.

Yeah, he said the program is very much meant for people who could get a job in the field without much help from the program. He made a point to stress how much disparity there is in recruiting between MBAs, for example, and students in this program.

Overall it still seems like a good fit for me, but he did stress that stufents coming in with less pre-existing network connections or recruiting experience may struggle at first with the process. Also, he mentioned that as far as getting internships goes, the coursework you’re taking in the program isn’t super helpful for that in your first semester, which also makes recruiting a bit difficult.

Yeah, he said the program is very much meant for people who could get a job in the field without much help from the program. He made a point to stress how much disparity there is in recruiting between MBAs, for example, and students in this program.

Overall it still seems like a good fit for me, but he did stress that stufents coming in with less pre-existing network connections or recruiting experience may struggle at first with the process. Also, he mentioned that as far as getting internships goes, the coursework you’re taking in the program isn’t super helpful for that in your first semester, which also makes recruiting a bit difficult.
Did that student mentioned that's the exact disparity is? The program director told me MSFE student can use the career service for MBA students and have 2 additional dedicated career service staff.

Agree the curriculum design(especially the first year) is geared more toward the finance research rather than industry application. Definitely not a program fit everyone's need.

His criticism (which I’ve heard for similar programs like MIT) is that the recruiters coming for the business school are coming primarily for MBA candidates so the jobs are primarily better suited for mbas and financial econ students aren’t their primary objective

His criticism (which I’ve heard for similar programs like MIT) is that the recruiters coming for the business school are coming primarily for MBA candidates so the jobs are primarily better suited for mbas and financial econ students aren’t their primary objective
I see. So the issue is more like the discrepancy between the target student those recruiter trying to hire and the nature of this program. I thought it is something like the MBA students have access to XYZ but MSFE students don't.

Personally, I don’t really think the 1st year curriculum is not industry oriented. Track B certainly is. However, if they don’t have built out career services specifically intended for MSFE students, that for me is the deal breaker. The curriculum is unparalleled, at least with respect to my interests, however, given the importance of post-grad placement for me, I don’t think coursework alone is enough to carry this program, at least for those students like myself who don’t have substantial experience working in finance.

Can’t understate how appreciative I am for @tips posting what he has above, I think it has made up my mind for me.

I scheduled an interview later today, but the google form didn't ask me for a Skype account. I still didn't receive any confirmation email and had only 4 hours left before my interview. For those people who have already finished interviews, I am wondering how and when the interviewer contact with you. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
I scheduled an interview later tomorrow, but the google form didn't ask me for a Skype account. I still didn't receive any confirmation email and had only 4 hours left before my interview. For those people who have already finished interviews, I am wondering how and when the interviewer contact with you. Thanks a lot.
For me, my interview was through Zoom. My interviewer sent me a Zoom invite 2-3 days before my interview. I would send an email to Dr. Johannes. If you’re being interviewed by a student, I’m sure that they are likely just busy and may send it to you closer to your interview time.

I scheduled an interview later today, but the google form didn't ask me for a Skype account. I still didn't receive any confirmation email and had only 4 hours left before my interview. For those people who have already finished interviews, I am wondering how and when the interviewer contact with you. Thanks a lot.
Mine was sent to me one day before the Interview. Zoom as well.

When did you receive the invitation email? Mine was like 10 days ago. Why do you schedule the interview so late? Or they just sent out another batch?

Back