• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Columbia MFE 2018 Applications

Maybe the admission team is sorting the applicants to give an offer

Wow, they are still sending interview invites. Looks like easily 200 ppl have been interviewed

Wow, they are still sending interview invites. Looks like easily 200 ppl have been interviewed
Yes, because there is no cost for interview. It is just fully automatic. It looks like there are many interview invites, just as last year 2017.

So we can imagine there will be a lot of rejection coming out in March. I guess it will be 60% rejections among all applicants receiving interview invites.

Last edited:
There's no cost, agreed. But isn't it difficult to judge based on behavioral interview as opposed to a well compiled profile? I didn't even have much time after office, gave my interview in a haste, without prep, no re-recordings, and gave it in low lit room. If you just judge me based on interview, you would most likely reject me.

There's no cost, agreed. But isn't it difficult to judge based on behavioral interview as opposed to a well compiled profile? I didn't even have much time after office, gave my interview in a haste, without prep, no re-recordings, and gave it in low lit room. If you just judge me based on interview, you would most likely reject me.

I think that says a lot about your candidacy if you blew off the interview. If you show a lack of preparation in the interview for the school, what should Columbia think about your preparation towards job interviews or your interest in the school itself? At the end of the day, an MFE is a professional degree, and being hireable is important for these programs.

But wouldn't they be admitting far more than 100 out of the ~200 people interviewed? Their class size was around 100 this year if I'm not mistaken.

So we can imagine there will be a lot of rejection coming out in March. I guess it will be 60% rejections among all applicants receiving interview invites.
Based on the last year’s tracker, 55 people had done the interview and 37 people got admitted.
So I guess there is 67% chance to get an offer after the interview, but we can’t judge all depending on the tracker.

I think that says a lot about your candidacy if you blew off the interview. If you show a lack of preparation in the interview for the school, what should Columbia think about your preparation towards job interviews or your interest in the school itself? At the end of the day, an MFE is a professional degree, and being hireable is important for these programs.
I agree with you.

Also, all applicants who have received an interview invite have the similar level of candidacy. It’s kind of a zero based competition within those applicants. Appealing the hunger to learn financial engineering and giving insightful answers are important in this behavioral interview. The interview questions might seem simple and easy, but the depth of the answers is all depending on the applicants.

That week I was in the office for an average 15 hrs a day. That's banking unfortunately. Couldn't find time.

Credit Suisse. About to join a HFT firm.

However, I don't think I would be selected anywhere.

Back