• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Columbia MFE 2018 Applications

I think they will start the first round of results by 5th March.

Susan, when is your deadline to confirm for Cornell?

Please call admission department. Send an email too, but give them a call during their working hours and explain the situation.

Yes, call columbia immdiately. The fact that several people (according to the tracker) have been interviewing as late as yesterday makes me think thst you still have a chance to interview.

I received admissions from UCLA and I'm pretty much just waiting on MIT, Columbia and NYU at this point. Looks like Columbia's answer should come in by the first or second week of March.

THE most horrible thing just happened to me...I missed the first email for the interview invitation, because it went into spam...and when I received the reminder, it expired already!!!
Same happened with me. I have called them and gave my reason for not being able to interview (given it's due in 2 days). They have extended the invitation to another 48 hours. Suggest you to do the same.

@Tsunami @Jose Cespedes @Geekynoob Thank you all! I have reached out to the tech support and their extended my deadline for two more days. I just finished it.

But I do have a question, when I did the practice interview, I was able to review my record. However, when it came to the real interview, the "review" session was just totally blank and won't allow me to review the records. Were you guys the same? Or I might upload blank videos? (The system didn't show any errors though...)

Last edited:
@Tsunami @Jose Cespedes @Geekynoob Thank you all! I have reached out to the tech support and their extended my deadline for two more days. I just finished it.

But I do have a question, when I did the practice interview, I was able to review my record. However, when it came to the real interview, the "review" session was just totally blank and won't allow me to review the records. Were you guys the same? Or I might upload blank videos? (The system didn't show any errors though...)

I was able to review each question of the real interview as well. I believe some browsers give trouble (i.e I have had problems using Firefox). Maybe you can ask their tech support team just to be 100% sure.

Some people commented previously it could be today or coming Monday. Keep checking the mailbox tonight.

Do most schools also let you know if you're rejected? Or does silence indicate rejection?

Schools where seats are relatively high (like Columbia), do not generally send rejections upfront, unless they are certain that you are a mismatch. They will keep their options open for maintaining a wait list.

Schools with lower seats (Baruch, probably NYU) do send rejections.

Dear Columbia, if you are reading this, please end the suspense on results :)

I wanted to ask something, how do you guys plan to finance your studies? Do most people have that amount of savings or are rich OR plan to take loan?

I wanted to ask something, how do you guys plan to finance your studies? Do most people have that amount of savings or are rich OR plan to take loan?
Investments return and family support. No plan to loan.

How on earth do people believe they will send out responses today???!?!?!?!

They scheduled interviews for candidates as late as two days ago. Two days to review profile and make a decision?

On top of this, their F.A.Q. page specifically states that the decisions will be handed by Mid-March to late-April.

Admissions Questions | Department of Industrial Engineering & Operations Research

When will I know the decision?
PhD applicants will be notified of their admissions decision or contacted for more information late-February to early-March. The M.S. programs (Financial Engineering, Management Science & Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Operations Research) applicants for the Fall semester will be notified of their admissions decision or contacted for more information mid-March to late-April.

I am highly suspicious about the speculation that it would even be next Monday. Where do you guys get this information?

We get this information from what happened last year. Their website is not upto date with a lot of things. For eg, the submission deadline for MFE application is 5th Jan and 4th Jan at 2 different places, however, in reality there's no application deadline. I wouldn't rely much on the website information.

The interviews last year were over by about I think 16/18 Feb. This year it has been an extra week. Results were out starting 6th Mar last year (first round of results). First round this year could still be out next week.

Back