• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Columbia MFE 2018 Applications

Current MSFE student here at Columbia.

Our cohort consists of roughly 60 Chinese, 25 Indian, 6 French, 6 Americans, and a couple from other countries, just to give you guys an idea on the ethnicity mix.

I think the acceptance rate is somewhere around 10%, maybe a bit less.

The online interview process is just behavioral, where you can re-record your answers until you are happy. Not the best interview process.

The program itself is very very quantitative. The first semester is quite insane in difficulty, with only those with very advanced math and coding skills not struggling. This program is TOUGH!!

It’s cool to see your confidence Geekynoob, because should you come to Columbia, the first semester will be sure to put that to test!

Thanks for the info! Haha, as I said earlier, I have nothing better to say here, so just doing light banter all along. I am nowhere close to that confidence.
Very useful stats!

just received my invite right now.. I think they're just not sending them all at once, so for those who haven't received one yet, keep hope there's still time.

Thank you! Literally been checking emails obsessively.. The Columbia MFE program is my top choice

If you're a competitive applicant for this program it means that you are already a very successful and determined individual. I know we all want the best for us but make no mistake that you will thrive and excel wherever you land. Just be thankful, disciplined and caring and you'll do wonders.

Lily, I think Columbia is the first choice for everyone who has been active on this thread, literally waiting to be shortlisted, and selected, trying to be up to date. That being said, I wish you very best for the selection process.

Also since Columbia didn't reply to my message, I believe that I am fairly confident now that because of trying to be funny to lighten the mood for everybody, in these tough times, I might not be selected for being judged over confident . All the best guys!! signing off - geekynoob

My sincere apologies. I am not in any way affiliated with Columbia MSFE admissions, I am simply a current student in Columbia's MSFE program.

I did not realize that could be misunderstood when I chose my username, so I apologize. I will try to get that name changed.

I just wanted to be a resource for you all if you had any questions about the program.

My sincere apologies. I am not in any way affiliated with Columbia MSFE admissions, I am simply a current student in Columbia's MSFE program.

I did not realize that could be misunderstood when I chose my username, so I apologize. I will try to get that name changed.

I just wanted to be a resource for you all if you had any questions about the program.

How is the career support? A lot of comments on the forums say the biggest con of the Columbia MSFE program is that it does not offer as good as career support as CMU or Baruch. But maybe Columbia's numbers speak for itself? Its hard to gauge since there isnt any real public information on their website.

columbia’s career support is ok. But good jobs always require hustle. Given the size of the program, it is not uncommom to find graduates end up in undesirable internships/jobs. Dont just look at what companies those graduates work at. Look closely at what they actually do. S&T in BB&T is usually better than client support at BlackRock Solutions

I am not very familiar with how the career support works at CMU or Baruch, but I have heard that their career support is better as well. What I can say is that we have a couple websites with job opening that have a streamlined application process for us. In addition, we have networking events and company presentations that happen a couple times a week, and we have a director of career placement that is a good resource. That being said, the internship/job search does take a significant amount of time, and you still need to go out there and spend a significant amount of time on applications.

There is a 2 min timer for each question. I think you can re-record how many ever times you want within that timeframe. The maximum will be decreasing though.

There is a 2 min timer for each question. I think you can re-record how many ever times you want within that timeframe. The maximum will be decreasing though.
Maximum number of times one can record?

Can anyone share the questions and also confirm whether we can record multiple times or not ?

Just done with my interview. Not really comfortable talking to a camera and the questions were behavioral. No idea what to expect. Also, you can re-record as many times as you want.

Hi,
Current MSFE student here at Columbia.

Our cohort consists of roughly 60 Chinese, 25 Indian, 6 French, 6 Americans, and a couple from other countries, just to give you guys an idea on the ethnicity mix.

I think the acceptance rate is somewhere around 10%, maybe a bit less.

The online interview process is just behavioral, where you can re-record your answers until you are happy. Not the best interview process.

The program itself is very very quantitative. The first semester is quite insane in difficulty, with only those with very advanced math and coding skills not struggling. This program is TOUGH!!

It’s cool to see your confidence Geekynoob, because should you come to Columbia, the first semester will be sure to put that to test!
Can you please let us know your estimate of the number of people who got an interview last year and the conversion rate ? Did all applicants get an interview ?

Hi,

Can you please let us know your estimate of the number of people who got an interview last year and the conversion rate ? Did all applicants get an interview ?

Here are admission statistics for a number of programs, including Columbia. Our year had an 8.9% acceptance. None of us could tell you how many people received an interview, it's not a published statistic.

Hi Fink,

Would you be able to recall as to what the interview questions were at your time?

Back