• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Columbia MFE 21

Same here..MFE wait list and been asked about interest in MSOR.admitted to MSOR
Yeah same for me. But do you think taking MSOR is good as compared to waiting 1 year for MSFE? I mean is there a substantial difference between job opportunities between the two making MSFE worth waiting?

A basic query, since y'all got an option to apply to MSOR, I am assuming y'all must've checked the box where it said "It is okay if I get admitted to a different course if not MFE".
I did not check that box and was very particular regarding the course, so is there still a chance that they ask me if I'm interested in MSOR? Or will they just straight away reject my profile?
Has anyone who did not check the aforementioned box still receive an option to apply to MSOR?

Yeah same for me. But do you think taking MSOR is good as compared to waiting 1 year for MSFE? I mean is there a substantial difference between job opportunities between the two making MSFE worth waiting?
I asked my student from IEORs and they said the career service for all students under IEORs are the same. And i think if they did not admit that many students this year is due to the deferred students last year, then this competitive situation might sustain for few years since every year they are people graduating.

so you apply two program, or they put you in the MSOR when you apply MFE
I only applied for MFE (I remember the official website says one can only apply to one program under E-school each year) and received an email last week saying that I’m waitlisted and they recommend MSOR to me.

A basic query, since y'all got an option to apply to MSOR, I am assuming y'all must've checked the box where it said "It is okay if I get admitted to a different course if not MFE".
I did not check that box and was very particular regarding the course, so is there still a chance that they ask me if I'm interested in MSOR? Or will they just straight away reject my profile?
Has anyone who did not check the aforementioned box still receive an option to apply to MSOR?
I didn’t check that box when I was filling out my application.

I only applied for MFE (I remember the official website says one can only apply to one program under E-school each year) and received an email last week saying that I’m waitlisted and they recommend MSOR to me.
got it, but congrat again.

I asked my student from IEORs and they said the career service for all students under IEORs are the same. And i think if they did not admit that many students this year is due to the deferred students last year, then this competitive situation might sustain for few years since every year they are people graduating.
Columbia doesn't have a deferral policy, so I don't think this is an issue

If you are 100% sure if you want to be a quant then I would wait for MSFEng. I applied to MSOR since I also want to with work in data analytics.

I think this is only for this year. Last year many schools deferred a lot of student due to COVID.
That makes sense as well as it would only be fair to have accommodations for the applicants who couldn’t have seen the situation coming last year

Surprisingly, my transcripts in the checklist of login portal is changed as awaiting (Before it was marked as received) . Did any of you face a similar issue?

Surprisingly, my transcripts in the checklist of login portal is changed as awaiting (Before it was marked as received) . Did any of you face a similar issue?
Can be good news for you. If they accepted the application, they would need official transcripts. This hasn't happened to me, just speculating.

I think its too good to be true, haha. But did not get any mail regarding acceptance.

Similar thing happened to me for GaTech. But it clearly stated "Official transcript" and "Official BEng degree certificate". But it could definitely be good news for you!

Back