• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Columbia MFE (Financial Engineering) 2023

Hi all!

Anyone heard back from Columbia yet? I got an email yesterday saying “your application is still being reviewed by a small admissions committee from the IEOR department”.

i got same.. if u look at last years posts, late feb early march decisions r released

Hi all!

Anyone heard back from Columbia yet? I got an email yesterday saying “your application is still being reviewed by a small admissions committee from the IEOR department”.
I got the same email... Hope it is a good sign

+1...Should we read more into it? Applications have been tough this year
why would we /how would we read more into it? It says dont contact columbia for an update. We just wait now, but i think it is more of a positive than a negative that email

Out if curiosity, what makes you say applications have been tough this year?
I truly doubt whether I should use the word "admissions" instead of "applications", but yea it seemed like fewer ppl got interviewed or survived multiple rounds of elimination. At least it happened to ppl around me. No idea if it applies to all.

why would we /how would we read more into it? It says dont contact columbia for an update. We just wait now, but i think it is more of a positive than a negative that email
Word, lol. Im based in NYC so I definitely hope thats a good signal. Great thanks!

Last edited:
I truly doubt whether I should use the word "admissions" instead of "applications", but yea it seemed like fewer ppl got interviewed or survived multiple rounds of elimination. At least it happened to ppl around me. No idea if it applies to all.
People have gotten rejected already to Columbia MFE? I am talking about MFE not MAFN

People have gotten rejected already to Columbia MFE? I am talking about MFE not MAFN
I was talking about other programs. I don't think any admission decision has been made so far by Columbia MFE, but Im eagerly waiting.

+1...Should we read more into it? Applications have been tough this year

I thinks it’s a good signal, albeit fairly weak as well. Implication is that you’ve passed their mass filtering and are now down to their “final” candidates. Good in the sense that you’re still in the races, but really doesn’t mean much as I assume it’s far more competitive amongst the applicants being reviewed by the smaller committee. Hard to read into the timing but the fact you guys are clearly the earlier applicants to be reviewed by the smaller committee is more likely a good thing than bad.

Could also just be me coping lmao as I also got the email just then. 🙃

It was an automated mail sent to everyone. I do not think there is any conclusion we can draw from it. It is just our brains thinking way too much. I do not think we should take any insights from an automated mail received by everyone.

Back