• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Columbia MFE interview invite?

I also got both MAFN and Redirection to MSOR.

Based on my experience at Columbia, let me share some thoughts:

MAFN: (1) class size currently is <=100, but I heard that the director is planning to expand, so this year 100+ will be very likely; (2) curriculum is very solid, theoretical, but the quality of some courses is not such good as those offered at IEOR. (3) You can take at most 6 courses per semester at the same tuition cost, and choose 2 of them as R credit(only pass/fail), which gives you great flexibility. Each semester you are able to take at most 1 course in IEOR, and 1 in B-School. And if you plan to graduate within 1.5 year, the last semester only requires a extended residence cost for $11,470. (4) Many MAFN students are doing part-time, though some are illegal, but there are 'unpaid internship' and 'fieldwork' choices for students to do that legally. (5) the internship situation is not good compared with last year. I only know 20-30 international students got summer offer so far, although there are still many summer opportunities in the next month.

MSOR: (1) class size: 180+, very large. (2) Except those MSFE only, MSOR students are able to choose any other courses in this department. There are numerous good electives available. They can also register courses in Math, Stat department and B-School. Flexibility is even better than MAFN. (3) placement is very diversified in various sectors: business, consulting, IT, data science, finance and even services...Most of them finally didn't go the QUANT path.(4) Career service is better, while there is almost no career service at MAFN. (5) Overall placement rate is not good. Summer intern offers in Finance sector so far are around 10-15 (biased, just heard from their students). MAFN's history placement results are better than MSOR.

This is what I know. I haven't decided because I have other applications awaiting.

Thank you!
I haven't applied to Columbia MAFN, but I've been looking into MSOR's electives and I like what I see... I'll be sending that paragraph soon enough for sure. :P

So Tony, do you think we still have the chance to get in? I do not think they will send out emails during the weekend right?
No idea. I hope there is still chance.
I think no emails will be sent during weekends.

I also got both MAFN and Redirection to MSOR.

Based on my experience at Columbia, let me share some thoughts:

MAFN: (1) class size currently is <=100, but I heard that the director is planning to expand, so this year 100+ will be very likely; (2) curriculum is very solid, theoretical, but the quality of some courses is not such good as those offered at IEOR. (3) You can take at most 6 courses per semester at the same tuition cost, and choose 2 of them as R credit(only pass/fail), which gives you great flexibility. Each semester you are able to take at most 1 course in IEOR, and 1 in B-School. And if you plan to graduate within 1.5 year, the last semester only requires a extended residence cost for $11,470. (4) Many MAFN students are doing part-time, though some are illegal, but there are 'unpaid internship' and 'fieldwork' choices for students to do that legally. (5) the internship situation is not good compared with last year. I only know 20-30 international students got summer offer so far, although there are still many summer opportunities in the next month.

MSOR: (1) class size: 180+, very large. (2) Except those MSFE only, MSOR students are able to choose any other courses in this department. There are numerous good electives available. They can also register courses in Math, Stat department and B-School. Flexibility is even better than MAFN. (3) placement is very diversified in various sectors: business, consulting, IT, data science, finance and even services...Most of them finally didn't go the QUANT path.(4) Career service is better, while there is almost no career service at MAFN. (5) Overall placement rate is not good. Summer intern offers in Finance sector so far are around 10-15 (biased, just heard from their students). MAFN's history placement results are better than MSOR.

This is what I know. I haven't decided because I have other applications awaiting.
Thank you Mensa. This is excellent write up for all of us in this situation.

Yes- the deposit amount is USD 4000, which gets balanced against the fee we pay later. It's a non-refundable amount, so in case someone backs out later, they may have to forgo the whole (or partial) amount.

Yes- the deposit amount is USD 4000, which gets balanced against the fee we pay later. It's a non-refundable amount, so in case someone backs out later, they may have to forgo the whole (or partial) amount.
Oh my, that's a high deposit...

Thank you!

Is there anyone who hasn't been re-directed to MSOR and hasn't heard back anything yet?
Are they still sending re-directs?

Is there anyone who hasn't been re-directed to MSOR and hasn't heard back anything yet?
Are they still sending re-directs?
I haven't heard anything, I think my GRE scores being delaying by 2 weeks caused my application to be off cycle but at this point it's probably game over.

I haven't heard anything, I think my GRE scores being delaying by 2 weeks caused my application to be off cycle but at this point it's probably game over.

Don't lose faith man. It is not the end yet. Pray hard.

I think some people rejected the redirect, so Columbia might send out more emails this week. Not sure though.. :(

Haha thanks man. Its OK though I already got into my dream school so getting into Columbia would just be an added bonus.

Which school you have decided to go to? if you don't mind me asking.

Last edited:
Back