• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Columbia MFE or Chicago MSFM

Hi all,

I received offers from both programs. I am leaning towards Columbia but the offer from Chicago comes with xx% scholarship. After having read numerous comments on QN, I find that Chicago's program isn't really painted as one of the top ones - this is surprising given the reputation of the university and its Math Dept.

I appreciate your opinions on this. Many thanks.

Hi there,

Ive been accepted into the Chicago FinMaths program as well. This is the only program I have applied because it is the most logical one based on my personal situation. I am a quant dev looking to transition into option trading. UChicago's focus on option theory, risk mgmt together with geo advantages in terms of trading jobs makes it the most logical choice to me. I also wanted to attend a program where the workload isnt too overwhelming, this would allow me to focus on interviews whilst still getting good marks.

I think Columbia MFE is generally considered a stronger program than Chicago FinMaths. However, I think both programs meet the minimum hiring bars for jobs in prop trading / hedge fund / BB banks. Once you are in the interview loops, it's your own academic knowledge and technical skill-sets that matter.

Would love to hear other people's thoughts too!

Last edited:
Hi there,

Ive been accepted into the Chicago FinMaths program as well. This is the only program I have applied because it is the most logical one based on my personal situation. I am a quant dev looking to transition into option trading. UChicago's focus on option theory, risk mgmt together with geo advantages in terms of trading jobs makes it the most logical choice to me. I also wanted to attend a program where the workload isnt too overwhelming, this would allow me to focus on interviews whilst still getting good marks.

I think Columbia MFE is generally considered a stronger program than Chicago FinMaths. However, I think both programs meet the minimum hiring bars for jobs in prop trading / hedge fund / BB banks. Once you are in the interview loops, it's your own academic knowledge and technical skill-sets that matter.

Would love to hear other people's thoughts too!
Thanks for sharing your view. Completely agree that it is up to us to translate assessments and interviews into job offers.

Has the safety issue around UChicago neighbourhood ever crossed your mind? I was doing some research and found some recent Reddit posts mentioning the deteriorating level of safety since the onset of Covid.

Yeh, safety is an issue. To make the matter worse, almost all Chicago FinMaths courses are in the evenings, i definitely think traversing in the neighborhood for evening classes poses some safe threats.
That said, there are ways to minimize risks, for example, living in a safe neighborhood (ie, loops), and commuting to school via Uber etc.

Last edited:
Since these incidents, UChicago offers around 20 free lyft rides per month for areas around Hyde Park. I have lived in Hyde Park earlier and now lives in Downtown but I think with the lyft thing, it shouldn’t be a very big concern.

Since these incidents, UChicago offers around 20 free lyft rides per month for areas around Hyde Park. I have lived in Hyde Park earlier and now lives in Downtown but I think with the lyft thing, it shouldn’t be a very big concern.
Is it convenient commuting between Downtown and campus?

It depends on where you live but there shouldn’t be a difference of 5-10 min one side. There is bus stop and train station just outside my building in Downtown and it takes 30 min from my home to Uchicago. You can use public transport and then book a lyft once you reach Hyde Park but living in Hyde Park might make more sense as it will save time and you can always use free cab service for your classes and chores.

Chicago has good public transport but the safety is the only thing that one needs to take care of

Back