• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Columbia MFE vs CMU MSCF

Which program would be your first choice?

• Columbia MFE

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • CMU MSCF

Votes: 48 68.6%

• Total voters
Hi guys,

I got an offer from Columbia MFE on Monday. It was indeed good news and I wish everyone could get what they want in the end.
But I am hesitating between these two options. I does not imply that I have already been admitted to CMU, it will be on March 20th. It is just that I had an interview with them in Feb, and everyone is saying that having interview means I have a good chance. However, the deposit date of Columbia is on March 15th.
Could someone who was at my position give me some advice? Anything regarding program comparison, deposit deadline extension... should i email CMU, asking for early decision? I am afraid that this action will hamper my admission. Well maybe deep down in my heart, I think I am in favour of CMU. If CMU's offer comes before Columbia, I may not be writing this thread.

Thanks for your help!!!

I have nothing to offer on comparison, but emailing Columbia asking for an extension is better than emailing CMU asking for an early decision. Just tell them the truth, it's a big decision and you would like more time to consider all of your options.

Speaking for myself, I asked Vanderbilt for an extension while I was waiting for MIT (Both Master in Finance). It was no problem. Nothing wrong with trying, you're not gonna lose your place by asking :)

Speaking for myself, I asked Vanderbilt for an extension while I was waiting for MIT (Both Master in Finance). It was no problem. Nothing wrong with trying, you're not gonna lose your place by asking :)
Already asked them. Waiting for their reply.

Hi AlexDuan,

May I know why are you favoring CMU MSCF over Columbia MSFE?

I'm in a similar position but my opinion about the programs is different. I'm preferring Columbia as it has better placement statistics, a bigger brand name and lower fee. Please can people share their opinion and logic behind which program is better in their opinion ?

Hi AlexDuan,

May I know why are you favoring CMU MSCF over Columbia MSFE?

I'm in a similar position but my opinion about the programs is different. I'm preferring Columbia as it has better placement statistics, a bigger brand name and lower fee. Please can people share their opinion and logic behind which program is better in their opinion ?
CMU has better career service. The director and the program really help students to get a quant related job. In Columbia, one is on his own, like attending career fair that is open to everyone of CU.
My supervisor is a CMU alumni. I guess there is a great influence.

You are mostly correct in saying that the career services provided by CMU is better than Columbia. In Columbia it appears that a person is informed of what all companies are in the domain of a person's interests and then the student has to apply to the company directly. But the feedback that I've gotten from current students is that this has never hampered their chances of being interviewed by firms. Probably Columbia being in New York can afford this. This argument is also strengthened by the fact that Columbia's placement record is very good.

Apart from career services I don't think there is any downside of Columbia. And as explained above, this downside too doesn't have any negative impact on placements. On the other hand, pros of Columbia are that 1) Columbia has a bigger brand name and a stronger alumni base (not to say that CMU is not good but comparatively I feel Columbia has a much better reputation especially in the field of finance), 2) Columbia's placement stats are better, and 3) Columbia is in NY.

If anyone has any supporting/ contradicting views then kindly post.

Back