• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MS Programs

Hey, I am new to this forum so I have a few questions to ask. I graduated from Johns Hopkins in 2008 with an Econ degree (premed concentration) and a GPA of 3.61. I received between A/A- in all quantitative classes (micro theory, macro theory, econometrics, prob/stats, etc.). The thing is I have zero experience in the finance industry. Upon graduation, I used my premed background to work as a research assistant in a cancer research lab at Johns Hopkins Medical Institution and I have a publication in highly-regarded peer reviewed journal. The thing is I just realized that I do not want to pursue my career in medicine anymore and would like to switch to finance. Do Master Programs look down on people who are looking to switch their career? I am planning to take the GRE in a couple months and applying to Columbia MS Program in Financial Engineering and MS Program in Operation Research. Can I apply to both programs at once? Also, how competitive are these programs considering that I have ZERO work experience in the financial industry. Also, how do graduates in these programs do in terms of securing an IBank job? Thanks!

>>Do Master Programs look down on people who are looking to switch their career?
On contrary, these programs specifically flourish with career-changers. They are there to fill a need of people trying to break into finance.
>>I am planning to take the GRE in a couple months and applying to Columbia MS Program in Financial Engineering and MS Program in Operation Research. Can I apply to both programs at once?
As stated elsewhere on QuantNetwork, the answer is yes. Often time, you can get referred to the MSOR program if your MFE application is not accepted

>>Also, how competitive are these programs considering that I have ZERO work experience in the financial industry. Also, how do graduates in these programs do in terms of securing an IBank job?
A good indication would be the strength of the incoming class. You can find this and answer to the placement stat on their website (or contact them).
More info can be found at some truth about the Columbia OR - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum

I was wondering if there is any career placement option for Part Time students to both the Columbia programs. I am looking for a program ( in NYC ) that will place part time students into the industry. I know Baruch and CMU are the options. NYU is closed for part timers.

Thanks

Since when is NYU closed for part-time students, and where is that information posted?

I believe he is concerned about career placement.

Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences NYU

Part-Time Masters in Mathematics in Finance: Well suited to those working full-time in the industry who desire a masters degree.Students typically take one or two courses per semester and can take anywhere from 3 to 5 years to complete the degree. Part-time students must plan carefully as most courses have prerequisites and many are offered only in the fall semester.It is possible to enter as a part-time student in the spring. Students doing so should start by taking Derivative Securities, Stochastic Calculus and/or Capital Markets, all of which are offered in both the fall and spring semesters. Click here for course sequence advice for part-time students.
Once admitted part-time, students are free to take any schedule of classes that meet their needs and are consistent with work and other demands on their time. This can include taking 4 courses per term but the availability of resume advice and job placement assistance is restricted to those admitted full time.

Back