• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR Columbia MSFE reject, redirected to MSOR

JDawg You interviewed this week?
Yeah on Monday. At the end of the interview I asked when to expect to hear back. She didn't even mention this March 30 date. Based on her answer, I would expect a response on either Friday or sometime early next week.

Gr8..I had spoken last week, so I guess they realized now they wont need much time :P .. let me know if u hear anything..atb :)

One info to share:
the class size of MSOR this year would be between 100 and 150

So the interview scheduled are all for MSOR on the website? I though some of them might be for interviews for other programs in IEOR, like MS&E?
Not all for MSOR, since they will ask which program you are applying to

Hey guys, I know it seems obvious now after looking at the above conversation; however, I would like confirm whether my observation is correct. So, here is my question: is the following statement true?
- If I don't receive an invitation for an interview for MSOR program, then I am rejected.
(equivalently, every admitted applicant went through the interview process for MSOR program)

The reason why I am asking this question is obviously that I directly applied to MSOR program and have not received an invitation for an interview. So, if the above statement is true, then I have to give up and decide among programs where I am admitted.

Thanks,

Hey guys, I know it seems obvious now after looking at the above conversation; however, I would like confirm whether my observation is correct. So, here is my question: is the following statement true?
- If I don't receive an invitation for an interview for MSOR program, then I am rejected.
(equivalently, every admitted applicant went through the interview process for MSOR program)

The reason why I am asking this question is obviously that I directly applied to MSOR program and have not received an invitation for an interview. So, if the above statement is true, then I have to give up and decide among programs where I am admitted.

Thanks,
I was directed from MFE to MSOR but I also have not received an invitation for interview, if they want to reject me immediately then why bother to redirect right? I hope they are still interviewing more, obviously the 430 is only up to now, when I emailed to ask they immediately reply that they are reviewing my application and not a regret email so I hope there is still a chance though slim

Is there any possibility that these 214 students are admitted in different years? Since some people choose to extend from one year to one and a half.
I had the same doubt until i randomly checked some of them on Linkedin and found out that they are all 2011-2012 class.

I had the same doubt until i randomly checked some of them on Linkedin and found out that they are all 2011-2012 class.
Such big a class size is really a disaster. But it is said that the class size this year would be 100-120. Do you think it is reliable or just their pretext?

Damn, looks like somebody's got an interview scheduled for Monday now. So I guess this means that we wont get a decision until next week. Was really hoping to hear back today :-\

Damn, looks like somebody's got an interview scheduled for Monday now. So I guess this means that we wont get a decision until next week. Was really hoping to hear back today :-\
Yeah, I emailed the department and they replied that the result would come out by 3/30. The only thing we can do is waiting.

they sent out MFE results at the last moment as they promise, so i guess they will do the same for MSOR...

Yeah, I emailed the department and they replied that the result would come out by 3/30. The only thing we can do is waiting.
Did they tell you how many admissions would be sent this year? Around 120 as someone said or 210?

catchuec
THANK YOU. You've just done us a great service giving us a closer look of the Columbia scene. The shift toward Masters in CS is quite consistent with what I've been hearing, and their recruitment condition is probably expected from a brand-based generalist program.

Hey dude. I keep hearing of Columbia's MSFE program being labelled as a "brand-based generalist program", and I'd like to find out more about the reasons behind this coz I may be going to Columbia MSFE this year. I'm guessing that by "generalist", you mean that the program is lacking in depth? Can I also assume that in contrast, programs such as NYU MSMF and CMU MSCF are more specialized?

I've done a quick side-by-side comparison of the courses offered by each of the three programs - Columbia MSFE, NYU MSMF and CMU MSCF. Admittedly, course names and descriptions may not be truly reflective of the depth of the syllabus, but it's a starting point. From my comparison, it's not immediately evident that Columbia MSFE is lacking in subject depth. (Although it is evident that CMU MSCF has more computing courses than either of the other two.)

What am I missing? Why does it seem to be such common knowledge that Columbia MSFE is not as specialized as the other two? Hope that you can help shed some light on this. I wish to learn as much as possible during my time in the program, and I don't want to waste time learning generalist fluff, so I'd really appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Back