• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR Columbia MSFE reject, redirected to MSOR

I replied and submitted that one paragraph yesterday, but did not get any reply from them. Has anyone got reply from Columbia after submitted the paragraph.

Even for that. Don't u think they would have been flooded by mails from all redirected candidates:p

I got a mail yesterday, saying
your application is now being considered for the M.S. program in Operations Research. The M.S. Admissions Committee will begin reviewing your application shortly and will contact you directly if additional information is needed

So that is to say, people on the list have a high possibility of being admitted?

The question is rather whether there's a non-zero probability that you do not get admitted.

I recently graduated from the MSOR and I can tell you that the rejection rate is very low, because it is not in their interest to say no to so much money. The MFE is the "real" program, and the MSOR is just a sidetrack that will get you nowhere fast (especially in this economy)!

Bottom line: don't do the MFE if you really want to be a quant, that is NOT the right track

The question is rather whether there's a non-zero probability that you do not get admitted.

I recently graduated from the MSOR and I can tell you that the rejection rate is very low, because it is not in their interest to say no to so much money. The MFE is the "real" program, and the MSOR is just a sidetrack that will get you nowhere fast (especially in this economy)!

Bottom line: don't do the MFE if you really want to be a quant, that is NOT the right track

Hi,

I think you wanted to say MSOR in your last line :p. By the way, any thoughts on Mathematics of Finance program of Columbia? how does that compare with MSOR?

Greetings Naos,
I am one of the many MFE applicants who was redirected to MSOR. I previously did a search on MSOR-related threads and found a couple which contained pretty detailed and positive reviews of the MSOR program by MSOR students. But those reviews were a good 4 years back.

Frankly, I was planning on taking up the MSOR offer (if given) until i saw your post. Since you recently graduated from MSOR, can you help some of the redirected guys here by sharing with us your experiences in MSOR?

Hey, so you are saying an MFE is not enough for a quant position? a PhD then?

Hi,

I think you wanted to say MSOR in your last line :p. By the way, any thoughts on Mathematics of Finance program of Columbia? how does that compare with MSOR?

Yes, my apologies!
If you want to be a quant, then go for the MFE, but not for the MSOR.

The reason comes from the current economy: MSOR quants are "less attractives" than MFEs (Columbia and others), so are served last. Yep, but there aren't that many jobs in the street...

Besides, the core curriculum of the MSOR is a total waste of money, with a very low level and poor professors (IMHO).

But don't get me wrong, there are some very great classes! Just, I'm warning you: the IEOR dep's interests are not yours, and you must be very honnest with yourself in what you want to do.

I'll give you a more extensive review later tonight, if you want.

PS: However, guys... never say no to a free option! If Columbia is not asking for a deposit for redirecting your application to the MSOR, then just do it (because it most likely means they'll reject you from the MFE, and it gives you more time to make your mind).

Naos,
Thanks for the heads-up. Frankly, i do not think highly of the MSOR if i were to consider all the various factors such as class size, curriculum, structure etc....the impression i get from the MSOR website is that the MSOR is just a program that is intended to bring in cash and fill up IEOR classes (just like what you said)...but i thought i would still take up the program (if admitted) because the Columbia brand carries some weight back home in Asia....And for the last 2 weeks, i start to question myself whether that constitutes sufficient reason to do the MSOR program...

Hope you can share with us more of your experiences...so that we can make informed decisions...

Back