• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR Columbia MSOR - Application Process Problem?

Hi! I have applied for the MS in Operations Research at Columbia in mid-November, and the last recommendation letter was submitted at the end of November. However, besides the first email which confirmed the submission of my application, I have not received ANYTHING from them since then. Is that normal? Should I contact them? Also, is there a way to track my application? The online platform where I submitted my application has not a relevant section in order to track the progress of my application. Thank you very much!

Hi! I have applied for the MS in Operations Research at Columbia in mid-November, and the last recommendation letter was submitted at the end of November. However, besides the first email which confirmed the submission of my application, I have not received ANYTHING from them since then. Is that normal? Should I contact them? Also, is there a way to track my application? The online platform where I submitted my application has not a relevant section in order to track the progress of my application. Thank you very much!
Relax! Your application has probably been compiled safely and the department is currently busy reviewing MSFE applications. You will most probably not be hearing anything from them until about mid-March.

Are you telling me that someone who applied back in September-Octomber will hear from them in March? Then what's the point of applying early if you are going to compete either way with all those guys who were redirected from the MFE to the MSOR?

Are you telling me that someone who applied back in September-Octomber will hear from them in March? Then what's the point of applying early if you are going to compete either way with all those guys who were redirected from the MFE to the MSOR?
I have no real idea how and when does the admission committee evaluate the applications. It might be that a decision on your application has already been taken. However, I am pretty sure that they release the decisions for all MSOR candidates together in March. Also, if the department does not specify an early admission deadline, I do not see a reason why you should expect not to be evaluated with the entire pool of MSOR candidates (including ones redirected from MFE).

I don't have a problem to be evaluated with the entire pool of MSOR, it's just that I have already seen some members of this forum who applied in early October being accepted before Christmas for the MSOR program - which means that they might release a decision before March.

Thank you very much for your information and your help, I really appreciate it!

I don't have a problem to be evaluated with the entire pool of MSOR, it's just that I have already seen some members of this forum who applied in early October being accepted before Christmas for the MSOR program - which means that they might release a decision before March.
I might be wrong here but the pre-Christmas admits would most probably be spring applicants who begin the program in February.

Back