• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR Columbia MSOR interviews

Just got a phone interview email from Columbia for MSOR. Does anyone know what I should expect? Do you guys know if they interview everyone or just select few? Thanks.

Here's the email:
"Thank you for your continued interest in our MSOR Program. As a final step in the process, we would like to ask you to call us to discuss your candidacy and interest in Columbia University."

Thanks a lot Andy! I got referred to MSOR after MFE turned me down. I'm also admitted to Cornell's FE (under their MSOR) but would prefer Columbia for its location and the flexible curriculum its MSOR program offers.

Don't stress too much. Columbia programs did not interview in the past so for them to do it now, they would be the one trying to convince you. Always keep in mind that you are the buyer and they are the seller and this is a buyer market.

True. But I think the students can also benefit a lot from Columbia's location, whether it be MSFE or MSOR. Columbia name will also open a lot of doors, not just in finance but also management consulting.

Thanks a lot Andy! I got referred to MSOR after MFE turned me down. I'm also admitted to Cornell's FE (under their MSOR) but would prefer Columbia for its location and the flexible curriculum its MSOR program offers.

Very rarely, master programs interview applicants during application process .... Normally, only PhD applicants are required for interview.

hey.. even i got an interview call.. what to expect from this interview...? vaguely what will they try to judge you on ?

Just got a phone interview email from Columbia for MSOR. Does anyone know what I should expect? Do you guys know if they interview everyone or just select few? Thanks.

Here's the email:
"Thank you for your continued interest in our MSOR Program. As a final step in the process, we would like to ask you to call us to discuss your candidacy and interest in Columbia University."

Do you also know that Columbia has extended their MS application deadline to April 15 (for all MS programs in SEAS)... ?

Maybe this is why they have the time to interview master applicants?

I did a little math and figured each interview should take no more than 10 minutes. Here's why:

- From 9am to 1pm, Wednesday to Friday, there are 2 lines for applicants to call in. That's a total of 24-hour window.
- Considering the current MSOR class size, 100 seems to be a reasonable number for the total number of applicants.
- 24 hours /100 applicants = 0.24 hour = 14 minutes
- But this is the upper bound because the two people at Columbia will have to take calls in the 24 hours non-stop, and it only guarantees 100 slots.
- Therefore, if Columbia wants to make sure every applicant gets at least 1 chance for their call to go through, they would make the length of the interval much shorter than 14 minutes.
- My estimate is between 5 to 10 minutes for each one.

Given the time constraint, I dont think the interviews will be THAT difficult :)

Let me know if I missed anything in the assumption.

Do you also know that Columbia has extended their MS application deadline to April 15 (for all MS programs in SEAS)... ?

Maybe this is why they have the time to interview master applicants?

No I don't know that. Maybe I'm missing the trivials here but on their website, it looks like the deadlines haven't changed.

Check FFSEAS's website.... and go to their grad admission page, and you'll see the annoucement.

Yes, it has been extended to April 15. here is the link Admissions | The Fu Foundation School of Engineering & Applied Science - Columbia University

Add to the new phone interview thing this year, you can get a sense of how bad/good things are.

As I said before, you are the buyer and hold all the cards so start acting like that.

What are some examples of the "good" and "bad" things ? I can't really get a sense of why they are doing these in the same year.

It's definitely weird that they did these new and unprecedented things to MS applicants ... in the same year! I doubt they interviewed a lot of MS applicants before, and I would guess this is the first time that they extended deadline by 2 full months for MS applicants.

it'll be gr8 if we can discuss about wat to expect at the interview ??
Something which columbia looks in particular ?

A student who got interviewed today was asked just 3 simple questions

Is he interested in the OR program?
Has he applied to other schools?
How he plans to finance the program?

Looks like once these questions are answered satisfactorily, these applications will be added to the MSOR application pool.

Looks like once these questions are answered satisfactorily, these applications will be added to the MSOR application pool.

thanks a lot for the info. do you know how many applicants Columbia is looking to admit for MSOR?

Thanks Tigga. The same is confirmed by 3 other applicants on a Chinese forum. Two of them commented "Each call took less than 5 minutes"; "The interviewers were European and Chinese girls, and they sounded more nervous than those on the other side of the phones." I think they are probably the interns, and Andy was absolutely right about the interviews. It's a buyer's market.

Thanks Tigga. The same is confirmed by 3 other applicants on a Chinese forum. Two of them commented "Each call took less than 5 minutes"; "The interviewers were European and Chinese girls, and they sounded more nervous than those on the other side of the phones." I think they are probably the interns, and Andy was absolutely right about the interviews. It's a buyer's market.

Those are the types of question that I'd least expect from an interview to go to a grad school. I'd expect more of questions like "Why do you think we should accept you?"...

= buyer's market indeed.

3 questions

Here's the email:

There is a list of 3 questions , which they are asking the candidates

1. Are you interested in being considered for admission to the OR program?
2. Have you applied elsewhere.If accepted to Columbia, what will be your priority with respect to accepting the place at Columbia?
3.Source of funding for your course at Columbia?

If you state that you are interested , they will forward your application to the evaluation committee.Decision expected by March end or April 1st week.

There is a list of 3 questions , which they are asking the candidates

1. Are you interested in being considered for admission to the OR program?
2. Have you applied elsewhere.If accepted to Columbia, what will be your priority with respect to accepting the place at Columbia?
3.Source of funding for your course at Columbia?

If you state that you are interested , they will forward your application to the evaluation committee.Decision expected by March end or April 1st week.

Hey RohithE..do they let you know if the application is sent to the evaluation committee??

@nidhij
yup, they will let you know
In my case i was told , you rapplication will be forwarded to the Admission committee.
or you can ask them to clarify any doubts you may have...

Back