• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR Columbia MSOR interviews

@nidhij
yup, they will let you know
In my case i was told , you rapplication will be forwarded to the Admission committee.
or you can ask them to clarify any doubts you may have...

Were you applying for PhD, and then were recommended for MSOR?

yup...any thoughts on the MSOR at Columbia...I know there is a separate thread...but anything recent ?

There was a guy called financeguy in this forum, who claimed that, as MSOR, you can have very similar program of study as MSFE with the only difference being the designation on your transcript.

You basically get flexbility in course selection in exchange for the designation on transcript.

yup...any thoughts on the MSOR at Columbia...I know there is a separate thread...but anything recent ?

RohithE... I think the most recent review is by a student who graduated this past summer. Check out the Education section of QN and you should see a review on the Columbia MSOR program.
From what I can gather, it seems like the MSOR is great if youre looking for flexibility to personalize a program to your own specs. I've heard so many opposing stories on MSOR. But if you go into the program and take the classes that the MSFE guys are taking, and perform high marks, I dont see why you would be considered any less of a candidate.
Just my two cents.

wa~congra~I was rejected by msor, and I think my background is not too bad, that is really make me feel so bad~can you share your background with you if that is convient to you~~Thank you

I just got an email from Columbia MS-OR ....
It says that i should call them for interview.......

I have two questions

1. From what i have heard the interview is barely 10 minutes long.......Does it mean they will offer me an admit if i tell them that I want to attend the MS OR program or will my application be reviewed further?

2. I also have an admit from Rutgers MSMF program. Best case scenario, i get an admit from both..... which one should i opt for? Any current MS-OR and Rutgers students out there??

I just got an email from Columbia MS-OR ....
It says that i should call them for interview.......

I have two questions

1. From what i have heard the interview is barely 10 minutes long.......Does it mean they will offer me an admit if i tell them that I want to attend the MS OR program or will my application be reviewed further?

2. I also have an admit from Rutgers MSMF program. Best case scenario, i get an admit from both..... which one should i opt for? Any current MS-OR and Rutgers students out there??

Lol What if they read this post and Columbia doesn't offer you anything ... 'Rohan' name shouldn't be that hard to find in the applicant list ;)

oh man i didn't think of that !!!!
Hope they don't read it....

in case they do...
Well lets hope there's more than one Rohan...
Its a pretty common name...

But seriously what do u think?

oh god, funny!

Anyway, Rohan what do you want to do? A strategic consulting role or a quant job in the field of finance? Your search for the better option lies in this question.. Answer that, and you should be fine.

I dunno man.....i am more keen on getting in as a quant but Columbia is an Ivy league....

What are the odds of landing a strategic consulting role?

oh man i didn't think of that !!!!
Hope they don't read it....

in case they do...
Well lets hope there's more than one Rohan...
Its a pretty common name...

But seriously what do u think?

Lol but I am sure there is only one "rohan chawla"

Odds of landing a job alone, being an international student depends on your proactiveness, networking skills, alumni connections, and various other economy related factors. Oh yea, how well you do in your program is also an importnat factor though.

And regarding stratetigic consulting job, do you have experience in IT consulting? If yes, it would be easier for you. If you are just a software developer, then you would be among the same pool of job applicants, who are just willing to do anything for a strategic consulting role.

Best,
Bharadwaj

@joy - how the hell did u find out my last name (assuming it is my last name)??

@Kbharadwaj - I worked as a software developer.....me slugging it out with a pool of intelligent students for a consulting role......hmmmm that is a cheerful thought.....but then again its the same everywhere, for every course......Lets see how the interview goes.....which reminds me of my earlier question....Will my application be sent for review again after the interview?

Yes, it would be, as far as I know. Although before that just make sure what you want to do rest of your life.

Best,
Bharadwaj

its a risk....i mean if Columbia rejects my application after the review and then the rutgers deadline also passes, i'll be left with nothing....
I guess i'll just ask them when i call them up...

When's your rutgers deadline? They let you know of your MSOR decision in two weeks I reckon.

Rutgers deadline is 15th April.......
Can i ask them to give me an extension?

Back