• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Columbia MSOR vs Boston MSMF

Hi guys,

I got rejected for the MSFE program at Columbia and was redirected to MSOR. Not that this is a sure thing, since they've only invited me to apply but I'd like to weigh my options. However I have an Admit to BU's MSMF. Would appreciate it if anyone could provide me with any advice on my situation.

If you need any more of a background on my situation please let me know.

Thanks.

Sure.

US BSc in Applied Math/ Economics
GPA: 3.91
GRE Q: 161
2 Banking internships in South Asia.

How about you?

Cool. So what are your thoughts on the 2 programs?
Obviously Columbia's brand name is gonna be a big factor in getting interviews in NYC. Whereas BU's employment report gives the impression that they put out students to work in Boston itself.

Dats true...however MSOR graduates may not have a future later .which Quant graduates might have

It is a hard decision. Not long ago I had to make the decision of Columbia Stats vs BU MSMF. I decided for BU and I believe it was a good decision. The program director and the woman that handles career services (exclusively for our program) work hard into placing us and getting us internships.

On the other side, the BU brand name is still not big in NY, some people do get internships and jobs there, but it might be easier with the Columbia brand name. Also, the best way to get internship interviews is having (or at least some) CFA.

Remember one of the most important factors you have to take into consideration is the education you will be receiving. Check which program you are most excited about.

It is a hard decision. Not long ago I had to make the decision of Columbia Stats vs BU MSMF. I decided for BU and I believe it was a good decision. The program director and the woman that handles career services (exclusively for our program) work hard into placing us and getting us internships.

On the other side, the BU brand name is still not big in NY, some people do get internships and jobs there, but it might be easier with the Columbia brand name. Also, the best way to get internship interviews is having (or at least some) CFA.

Remember one of the most important factors you have to take into consideration is the education you will be receiving. Check which program you are most excited about.
I am now on the same situation as you a year ago, CU stat v.s. BU msmf!
I am inclined to BU cuz it might be easier to get me internships and job at local financial firms rather than the stat program in CU.
How's the employment market in Boston these days?

Hmmm, not sure. It is tough to get an internship. I don't know how many people have had offers yet. So far I have one pending offer for an ok paid internship (30dls/h). I have friends who have better offers, but most are still in the interviewing process. About the people who graduated last January, most already had jobs by December, but those jobs are not exclusive for the Boston area. Just as a tip, if you already have some CFA, and specially some work experience, is much easier to get interviews.

Not sure what to recommend you to do Trisha. What is your profile? (Education, work exp, etc)

Hmmm, not sure. It is tough to get an internship. I don't know how many people have had offers yet. So far I have one pending offer for an ok paid internship (30dls/h). I have friends who have better offers, but most are still in the interviewing process. About the people who graduated last January, most already had jobs by December, but those jobs are not exclusive for the Boston area. Just as a tip, if you already have some CFA, and specially some work experience, is much easier to get interviews.

Not sure what to recommend you to do Trisha. What is your profile? (Education, work exp, etc)

If you don't mind me asking, what types of internships are MSMF students securing?

This is the link to the employment report.

http://management.bu.edu/files/2013/06/Class-of-2013-Employment-Report-website.pdf

As to the internships, it varies. One of my best friends has an internship in model validation for mbs. I have an offer (that I have not accepted yet) at a financial software firm, still interviewing at an asset management firm and a quant analyst group in the sell side, also I just got rejected from a prop shop in Chicago that does HFT (although is likely that someone else from the program will get that one). Other friend will just be an RA for a professor during the summer as he already has a full time offer in him home country (a very good one). Someone already has an offer at SSgA. Some others are going for stuff like insurance companies, and many still looking.

Back