• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Columbia OR vs Baruch MFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's just trying to derail you with a petty (and incorrect) correction.

It is better not to use these kinds of words in the first place, especially if they are incorrectly spelt.

It is also better to take a factual and scientific writing style IMO.

It is better not to use these kinds of words in the first place, especially if they are incorrectly spelt.

With due respect, I neither misspelt the word nor did I use it in a grammatically incorrect way. I do not know what "kind" of words are you referring to. I'm not going to waste my time explaining to you why I believe I am correct and you're wrong.

I would recommend that you read Wren&Martin if and when you have the time.

I don't know about my sense of humor but you sure seem to possess a hell of an amazing one! Lets put up Baruch MFE vs Princeton MFin up for vote and see it we get a close to 50-50 split on the votes. Are you game for it ? I mean you have an edge considering that most of the members here have a positive bias towards the Baruch MFE program.

PS : I don't mean this post to be implied as me being negatively biased towards Baruch. I'm neutral but it's unfair to blatantly attempt at trying to augment the prestige of a program using baseless hyperboles.

Those are two very different programs with different aims. When one of the Princeton MFin profs. interviewed for a position on Baruch MFE faculty I had a brief chat with him afterwards that was very insightful.

For a QUANT job, Baruch MFE is many times more useful. Key word there is Quant. Princeton MFin isn't a quant program, it's a Finance program where they mention that some math exists, but it is (compared to the more true quant programs) not taught in any depth or breadth, and cannot be taught to any depth or breadth because the students are (at least compared to the Baruch/CME/NYU/Columbia crowd) not at all the "quant" types. To be honest, I have no idea what it's doing in a ranking of quant programs...

Those are two very different programs with different aims. When one of the Princeton MFin profs. interviewed for a position on Baruch MFE faculty I had a brief chat with him afterwards that was very insightful. For a QUANT job, Baruch MFE is many times more useful. Key word there is Quant. Princeton MFin isn't a quant program, it's a Finance program where they mention that some math exists, but it is not taught in any depth or breadth, and cannot be taught to any depth or breadth because the students are (at least compared to the Baruch/CME/NYU/Columbia crowd) not at all the "quant" types. To be honest, I have no idea what it's doing in a ranking of quant programs...

I'm sorry! Are you on the Baruch MFE faculty or Admissions Committee or Faculty Recruitment Committee? I do not see your profile on the website. How did you happen to speak with him while he was interviewing for a position on the Baruch MFE faculty ? Regardless, it was Joy (a Baruch MFE alum I presume) who brought this up initially. I do not think it is comparable to the other two programs as well as yet.

IMHO, I do believe there is a bias towards Baruch on QN. Also IMHO, hyperboles or not, when there are skeletons in closets, the doors should be nailed shut. But that's just IMHO.

I'm sorry! Are you on the Baruch MFE faculty or Admissions Committee or Faculty Recruitment Committee? I do not see your profile on the website. How did you happen to speak with him while he was interviewing for a position on the Baruch MFE faculty ? Regardless, it was Joy (a Baruch MFE alum I presume) who brought this up initially. I do not think it is comparable to the other two programs as well as yet.
I was one of the "student representatives" on the interviewing committee, or whatever it was called. I mentioned in this thread already that I am a Baruch MFE alumni.

Keep in mind that Princeton is certainly not a bad program by any stretch of imagination. I would imagine it's top of its class. It's just not a quant program. I mean, their comparative literature program won't do much to prepare quants either, no matter how good it is...

It is also better to take a factual and scientific writing style IMO.

Scientific writing style is best left for research papers personally! What do you mean by a factual writing style ? You think I'm writing a fiction novel here or something ?

I was more interested in your C++ level but I know now.

I do not know why you were/are interested in my C++ level and what difference it makes to you. Regardless, I work in C++ regularly and my employer and my clients seem to be content with the "level" of C++ I've shown. However, if there are any errors in my comments on C++ in your opinion, I'd be happy to assess them and improve upon my "level" of C++.

I do not know why you were/are interested in my C++ level and what difference it makes to you. Regardless, I work in C++ regularly and my employer and my clients seem to be content with the "level" of C++ I've shown. However, if there are any errors in my comments on C++ in your opinion, I'd be happy to assess them and improve upon my "level" of C++.
It more the first impression that you made. Never mind.

Scientific writing style is best left for research papers personally! What do you mean by a factual writing style ? You think I'm writing a fiction novel here or something ?

He's trying to derail you and unfortunately he's succeeding a bit.

He is trying to troll you because he thinks you're trolling. Don't fall into the trap!

He's trying to derail you and unfortunately he's succeeding a bit. He is trying to troll you because he thinks you're trolling. Don't fall into the trap!

Who cares ?!!

But why are you not being favorable about the program you graduated from ? Seriously, something happened pruse?!! You did not get a good job with a certain pay that you expected to get out of the program or you felt you were not taught the right stuff or in the right way or you were ignored in the job finding process or you thought the grading was too harsh ? I'm just speculating personally.

Who cares ?!!

But why are you not being favorable about the program you graduated from ? Seriously, something happened pruse?!! You did not get a good job with a certain pay that you expected to get out of the program or you felt you were not taught the right stuff or in the right way or you were ignored in the job finding process or you thought the grading was too harsh ? I'm just speculating personally.

Exactly, you shouldn't care what he says about your use of the word 'hyperbole'. Stick to getting your questions answered.

Baruch recently started charging an "academic excellence fee" of a couple thousand a semester, so the ROI of the program isn't what it used to be. This used to be one of its strongest selling points.

I did get a decent job coming out of the program. However, from my experiences and what I know from other students, promises are often made which are not kept. Of course people will say, "but this happens everywhere." Fair enough, but I do think that talking only about the positives paints a distorted picture.

Baruch recently started charging an "academic excellence fee" of a couple thousand a semester, so the ROI of the program isn't what it used to be. This used to be one of its strong selling points.

Isn't this included in the 35K fee or is this outstanding ? How about the pre-MFE seminars ? Do you have to pay extra for them as well ?

However, from my experiences and what I know from other students, promises are often made which are not kept.

What sort of promises ? Can you please elaborate ?

Isn't this included in the 35K fee or is this outstanding ? How about the pre-MFE seminars ? Do you have to pay extra for them as well ?

What sort of promises ? Can you please elaborate ?

I believe it is included in the 35K, yes. But it used to be 20K. It almost doubled simply because of an "excellence fee" that was tacked on. And judging from the way CUNY operates, more fees and tuition hikes may be right around the corner.

Promises, for example, of "guaranteed" interviews that were never delivered upon. People like to boast and chew off more than they can handle, and then when promises aren't fulfilled, it gets awkward for all parties involved.

IMHO, the best philosophy is, promise less, deliver more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back