• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Compare: UofT MMF v.s. GeorgiaTech QCF

I'm an international student from a US Top 25 University with a Math major (honors) and a CS minor (GPA 3.7). I have been admitted to both the University of Toronto's MMF program and Georgia Tech's QCF program. Additionally, I received admission offers from JHU, BU, and USC.

Honestly, I'm struggling to decide which program to choose. I visited Georgia Tech earlier this year, and I wasn't very fond of Atlanta (it felt small and lacked vitality). I've never been to Canada, but I'm open to exploring new places. My long-term goal is to secure a job in North America. However, I'm concerned about the H1B visa policies and my work visa prospects after graduation. Would Canada be a better alternative in this regard?

From my research, I found that most UofT MMF alumni are currently working in risk management. I'm not entirely sure about the differences between quant trading and risk management, but quant trading seems more appealing to me at first glance.

I would like to provide some additional context on my priorities for making a decision between these programs:

1. Placement after graduation: My primary concern is securing a good job after completing the program. Both the location and salary are important factors for me.
  2. Working visas: As an international student, the availability and ease of obtaining a work visa play a crucial role in my decision. I want to ensure that I can legally work in my chosen location and have a reasonable chance at long-term employment.
  3. Difficulty of coursework: My undergraduate GPA is not particularly competitive, and I have some concerns about handling theorem-based courses. I want to choose a program that challenges me but is also manageable given my academic background.
  4. Program reputation and alumni network: The overall reputation of the program and the strength of its alumni network are also essential to consider. A well-regarded program with a strong alumni network can greatly enhance my job prospects and open doors to opportunities in the industry.
  5. Tuition and fees: at this point, my family is sponsoring all the tuitions and fees for me, so this would not influence my decision too much.

Thanks

Last edited:
QCF's curriculum is quite challenging and rigorous, and for the placement I heard that the majority were also risk side quants.

Back