• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Comparison of UCB and CMU course prospects

(1) What is the difference between the prospects after MFE from UCB and MSCF from CMU?

(2) Will a student have advantage in certain career path if one goes to UCB as opposed to CMU?

I have searched the forum for such comparison but did not see a comprehensive discussion about career prospects. I am not looking for some kind of vote but real comparison based upon course structure. I am new to finance so please excuse me if this question is just too simple.

It's hard for someone who does not have first hand experience of both program to give you a comparison.
The most logical approach I can think of is to look at the full-time jobs offered to graduates of both programs, see the location and type of job most of them obtain, then see if those are the kind of job you target. Since you are new, you most likely will get an entry level analyst position. Look at the products they end up doing and see if you like it or not.

I will only give you the links to the latest report
CMU Recruiting Partners 2008 - 2009 : Tepper School of Business
UCB Employment & Internship Report (2008-2009) - Master of Financial Engineering Program - Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley

I am personally interested in getting into algorithmic trading, high frequency trading kind of job.

So which course prepares me more in that direction: UCB or CMU and why? What courses let's say in CMU matters and UCB doesn't teach?

Alain: why does career prospect depend on me and not so much on the course? Shouldn't it be like: if you study medicine you become a doctor and if you study law you become a lawyer?

Andy's post has links and it gives a fairly good idea about job prospect after each of these courses.

But this makes me ask a question about the job profile of Baruch graduates. Can any current or past Baruch graduate talk about what kind of roles students typically have?

I was also curious about:
- What percentage of overall assignments at Baruch involves programming?
- Do you guys typically use C++ or are other programming languages promoted as well?

Back