• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Cornell FE Cornell Waitlist 4/14 -- What's the chance to get into FE?

Hey , I am just wondering if there is anybody like me that's still on the waiting list.... It's 4/14... I assume that they are supposed to give us results either today or tomorrow, right? Does anyone have any idea about how long is the waiting list? Is there still any possibilities that we get accepted by Cornell? Or the odd is rather low.....

I hope everyone is having a lovely day :)

@roni is very good when it comes to dealing with waitlists :)
m sure he can help

Hey , I am just wondering if there is anybody like me that's still on the waiting list.... It's 4/14... I assume that they are supposed to give us results either today or tomorrow, right? Does anyone have any idea about how long is the waiting list? Is there still any possibilities that we get accepted by Cornell? Or the odd is rather low.....

They will give you the result at April 22th. They told me today. (waitlist too)

Yep gosledith, I am waitlisted and just as anxious as everybody else. I am not very happy with the fact that Cornell will release the result next Friday versus what they claimed in their email "every attempts to release the result before 4/15". On one hand this is a good news since all the people with some sort of offer on the waitlist is forced to accept the offer today (the 4/15 agreement...unfortunately), and will not be easily released by the school they accepted the offer from. Effectively, their involuntary but rational decision to go somewhere else will shrink the size of the waitlist. (Again, unfair to them, unless Cornell gave them the result by 4/15 upon request). On another hand, we (I assume most of us will apply for Master degrees only) can still withdraw from schools we have claimed to go if we were admitted by Cornell, but at a cost of the deposit. If you check the tracker now, 30 people had been offered AD this year, and only 8 of them had decided to go, generates a yield of 26.67%. I know a similar forum in China with about 15 people offered AD, and about 6 of them chose Cornell as the final destination. That adds up to 14 people, which provides a lower bound of the space occupied. I assume their target class size is 50, then WE STILL HAVE A CHANCE.The many pending status of NYU applicants could be a cause of Cornell's low yield rate, and I assume as soon as NYU release another batch of their decisions, there will be a jump in the yield rate of Cornell.

The Cornell FE people never answered my calls nor replied to my emails. So I am curious how hamletwtp got the reply from them. Please let me know how and who you contacted, hamletwtp, by all means, awesome job!

Finger crossed for all of us. I believe if one treats everybody else nicely, the fate will treat him nicely. So be happy, do something good to people around you. Regarding to the waitlist status, I don't know what else we can do besides waiting.

Yep gosledith, I am waitlisted and just as anxious as everybody else. I am not very happy with the fact that Cornell will release the result next Friday versus what they claimed in their email "every attempts to release the result before 4/15". On one hand this is a good news since all the people with some sort of offer on the waitlist is forced to accept the offer today (the 4/15 agreement...unfortunately), and will not be easily released by the school they accepted the offer from. Effectively, their involuntary but rational decision to go somewhere else will shrink the size of the waitlist. (Again, unfair to them, unless Cornell gave them the result by 4/15 upon request). On another hand, we (I assume most of us will apply for Master degrees only) can still withdraw from schools we have claimed to go if we were admitted by Cornell, but at a cost of the deposit. If you check the tracker now, 30 people had been offered AD this year, and only 8 of them had decided to go, generates a yield of 26.67%. I know a similar forum in China with about 15 people offered AD, and about 6 of them chose Cornell as the final destination. That adds up to 14 people, which provides a lower bound of the space occupied. I assume their target class size is 50, then WE STILL HAVE A CHANCE.The many pending status of NYU applicants could be a cause of Cornell's low yield rate, and I assume as soon as NYU release another batch of their decisions, there will be a jump in the yield rate of Cornell.

The Cornell FE people never answered my calls nor replied to my emails. So I am curious how hamletwtp got the reply from them. Please let me know how and who you contacted, hamletwtp, by all means, awesome job!

Finger crossed for all of us. I believe if one treats everybody else nicely, the fate will treat him nicely. So be happy, do something good to people around you. Regarding to the waitlist status, I don't know what else we can do besides waiting.

This is the email Kathryn sent me, hope it will help:
Dear Lipeng,

We would like to give you an update on the status of your application to Cornell's Master of Engineering program. While we are impressed with your credentials, there are many outstanding applicants to our program, and we are not able to offer you admission at this time. You have been placed on our Wait List. We will make every attempt to let you know by April 22 whether or not we can offer you admission. We do not disclose Wait List rankings, so please do not ask.
We hope that you will postpone making a final decision regarding graduate programs until you hear from us. If you choose to accept admission from another program, however, we ask that you let us know.
Sincerely,
Kathryn E. Caggiano, PhD
Director, MEng Program
(607-255-2370)
kec4@cornell.edu

Dear Lipeng,

We would like to give you an update on the status of your application to Cornell's Master of Engineering program. While we are impressed with your credentials, there are many outstanding applicants to our program, and we are not able to offer you admission at this time. You have been placed on our Wait List. We will make every attempt to let you know by April 22 whether or not we can offer you admission. We do not disclose Wait List rankings, so please do not ask.
We hope that you will postpone making a final decision regarding graduate programs until you hear from us. If you choose to accept admission from another program, however, we ask that you let us know.
Sincerely,
Kathryn E. Caggiano, PhD
Director, MEng Program
(607-255-2370)
kec4@cornell.edu

Actually in my letter, she said they will make every attempt to let me know by April 15, which is today... and now it's 5:20pm.. I wouldn't think I will hear back from them today...ha

Dear Lipeng,

Sincerely,
Kathryn E. Caggiano, PhD
Director, MEng Program
(607-255-2370)
kec4@cornell.edu
Actually in my letter, she said they will make every attempt to let me know by April 15, which is today... and now it's 5:20pm.. I wouldn't think I will hear back from them today...ha

She said 4/15 in my letter too. Nothing received today. Just why nobody in Cornell would pick up the phone??!!

I don't think they will delay again. I think you will know by April 22th. Anyway, I have already decided to go to CMU for MSCF. Just curious about the result of Cornell~

She said 4/15 in my letter too. Nothing received today. Just why nobody in Cornell would pick up the phone??!!

I started calling them since I knew I was waitlisted... but I never got on hold of them... so idk...
well stay calm and hope for the best :))

I don't think they will delay again. I think you will know by April 22th. Anyway, I have already decided to go to CMU for MSCF. Just curious about the result of Cornell~

Wow, Congrats! CMU totally rocks!

To all of those who are waitlisted by Cornell, I called Kathryn Caggiano this morning, and miraculously, she picked up the phone. Very nice lady, told me the result for waitlist should be out by Wednesday. Since she did not say the class is already full, I guess we all have a chance. However, she mentioned people's confirmations to attendance are still coming in, which I don't understand since 4/15 was the dead-line for Conell according to many people. If people were allowed to reply after 4/15, then we may have a much longer wait. But anyway, good luck to all of us.

To all of those who are waitlisted by Cornell, I called Kathryn Caggiano this morning, and miraculously, she picked up the phone. Very nice lady, told me the result for waitlist should be out by Wednesday. Since she did not say the class is already full, I guess we all have a chance. However, she mentioned people's confirmations to attendance are still coming in, which I don't understand since 4/15 was the dead-line for Conell according to many people. If people were allowed to reply after 4/15, then we may have a much longer wait. But anyway, good luck to all of us.

Thank you so much fro the update!! Good luck everyone!

I saw someone got rejected by cornell after being waitlisted....
yikes...... :(

Hold on tight. At least we are still on the boat. I think we will hear something back tomorrow. I couldn't sleep well these days, but good or bad, there will be a result, then life will move on. Good luck to all of us.

Back