• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Could somone recommend a single book for me to start off with?

I've recently graduated (undergraduate) in math and physics and have settled on finance as my career path. This direction, however, is thanks to an interest in applied math and a fascination with the flow of the economy, not thanks to an appreciation for the inner workings of financial institutions, about which I know very little.

I've done a little searching on the board and most requests like this one are referred to the reading list here:

Master reading list for MFE - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum

which is certainly a valuable resource, but not very specific. Is there a single book or couple of books that someone could recommend to start off with?

I believe:

1. Hull, Shreve, Stefanica are common starting points from a financial instruments perspective
  2. Emanuel Derman's book for a flavor of the industry
Can you be more specific about your interests in mathematical finance & knowledge?

Can you be more specific about your interests in mathematical finance & knowledge?

I'm... not sure that I can. Thank you for the suggestions, one of those will probably give me a better idea of what to expect.

After Doug's post, I browsed a bit through Shreve's "Methods of Mathematical Finance". I like it and I will read it in more detail, however it would be a bit more difficult as a starter.

I would start with Math Primer from Stefanica. It gives a feel of option pricing and it starts from simple calculus/probability. After going through entire Hull, not sure if it is really worth it.
It is definitely a good reference, but it seems pretty far from a pure Math Finance program ...

After Doug's post, I browsed a bit through Shreve's "Methods of Mathematical Finance". I like it and I will read it in more detail, however it would be a bit more difficult as a starter.

I would start with Math Primer from Stefanica. It gives a feel of option pricing and it starts from simple calculus/probability. After going through entire Hull, not sure if it is really worth it.
It is definitely a good reference, but it seems pretty far from a pure Math Finance program ...

Huh. Well I was going to go with Hull, because I couldn't find Stefanica at the library and paying for textbooks that I don't need for a class just seems... expensive. None the less, it's cheaper than the average textbook and I suppose that if I want to do this right I'd better be ready to shell out for it.

Back