• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CS or Business Administration?

I am an undergrad considering the quant career seriously. I am planning to major in math and another subject. It can be either CS or business administration with a concentration in finance. Which one would be better for a quant career? If it is CS, which of these-Computer Scince, Information System, Software Engineering- is the best?

I would say CS for sure but for which one specifically - no idea :) I am sure the more CSish guys here would know better :)

I would say CS for sure but for which one specifically - no idea :) I am sure the more CSish guys here would know better :)
I would say CS.

SE curriculum usually involves more courses on the process and management of developing software, which I think would be less useful for a quant career. Though the exact course difference will depend on your university.
I did double major (Math+CS) undergrad and MS CS. In general Business Administrator education is really soft and not really challenging.
You can either choose CS or SE, whichever prepares you to be a better programmer. It can also open doors to the high tech industry (Google/Facebook, etc)
How about information system?

Back