• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Dazed and confused.

Hi Guys,

I am a Computer Engineer from Mumbai University. My final year aggregate is 59% (3.0 GPA). I do have good work experience as an equity research analyst, which will be of 2 years coming September. My IELTS score is decent, 8/9 and GRE score is poor, 300/340; V: 146, Q:154. I have stellar LORs and a good SOP.

My dilemma is that I have a standing conditional offer from the University of Glasgow, pre master's pathway program. I am supposed to reply to them in next few days as the program starts on 22nd Feb. But, my sponsor is adamant that I get into some college in London, preferably LSE, as according to him, there is no point going to the UK and not study in London. I have applied to the colleges in London and still waiting for their replies.

I have applied to LSE, UCL, Manchester, Kings, Cass, Brunel. Do you think I have a chance in getting in any of these colleges in London? I am wondering how good is the program in UoG? Would it be worth the wait for the colleges? Or should I try and take up Glasgow?

Also, I came across this two-year part-time online program offered by WorldQuant, can you guys help me understand if there is any difference between this and a regular MFE program offered in UK/USA. I am considering this as this is free of cost and then I won't have to rely on any sponsor.

Thanks,
AT

Hi,
What is this "two-year part-time online program offered by WorldQuant"? Can you please give some more details?

Do you know anyone who has done this course? Is it any good? What about their admission rate any clue?

If you notice on the website, the university was founded last year. So I think it would be difficult to find someone who has finished the course. Likewise, finding the review and admission rate is a challenge. All and any information I have is from their website and the LinkedIn profile.

I don't think an online course will give you the recognition that you want nor will it give you the placement opportunity that you will get if you do a MFE from the top schools in USA.

By the way are their any other open courses like this, if you are aware?

I don't think an online course will give you the recognition that you want nor will it give you the placement opportunity that you will get if you do a MFE from the top schools in USA.

By the way are their any other open courses like this, if you are aware?

Coursera has a course by Columbia University (free)
and then you've got CQF (paid but way cheaper than a college degree)
But none of these will help you much if you're a beginner in this field (in terms of job opportunities)

Back