• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Debug and Build VS Run and Compile?

Hi, I used to use Dev-C++ environment instead of VC, and in Dev, we have three options:
a. Compile.
b. Run. To run, we must have complied before.
c. Compile and run.
And now, in VC, we have start debugging, start without debugging and build and rebuild. I want to figure out the correspondence between these two set of terminology. Is build in VC means the same as Compile, and what's the difference between build and rebuild?
What's more, does start debugging means compile and run? And what's the difference between start debugging and start without debugging?
What if we have compiled already and just want it to run again? Which one should we choose?
It may sound like a stupid question but I still cannot understand it thoroughly.
Thank you very much.

Build=Compile+Link

Build all ensures everything gets rebuilt whereas build will only recompile files which have changed.

Start with debugging allows you to use the VS debugger

So VC environment is a compile-and-go system where I cannot just store the compiling result( I used to think after compiling or buildeing, my code turns into a binary format such as 010001110 which can be recognizes by the computer instead of myself) in the primary memory so that next time I can re-
Build=Compile+Link

Build all ensures everything gets rebuilt whereas build will only recompile files which have changed.

Start with debugging allows you to use the VS debugger
I see. And what's the difference between start debugging and start without debugging?
excute the same code without building it? I have these choices and what's the difference between build solution and build HW 7.1?
Thank you~

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 30
Start with debugging allows you to use the VS debugger. Without does not.

A solution can technically have multiple projects. Build solution builds them all.

Back