• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Defer or join fall 2020

Hello All,

How many of you're are deferring the admission of this fall as universities are not providing clear answer , whether they are gonna do the fall semester offline or online?

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't think all Universities are offering deferrals at this point, well atleast CMU MSCF isn't. Don't know whether they'll change the deferral policy if they declare online classes.

Spending tens of thousands and 2 years on a financial engineering degree right now.... yikes, unless you have a close family member or friend that can secure you a job.

There is no way a degree now is worth anywhere close to before the pandemic. If the school I wanted to go to before this pandemic doesn't offer deferrals, I would seriously consider just not going.

Moreover, we can't do networking as campus will be skeptic to conduct workshops or any other networking events.

Moreover, we can't do networking as campus will be skeptic to conduct workshops or any other networking events.
Well there’s online workshops so that’s not to bad. In terms on campus I believe but don’t quote me, a certain number of students are allowed but not more then a certain threshold. I have no clue how they would decide that but yeah. My problem is that there still charging same tuition and were receiving much less

I'm still joining. Sure there will be less jobs, but there will also be less competition as people defer their programs. I am not putting my life on hold, there will always be another reason to back out

What about travel restrictions imposed by US as of now?
What if restrictions continue till September?

I mean if I was making the choice and I got into a top 5 school aka Princeton, cmu , Columbia , uc Berkeley I would definitely go. Just put faith in your abilities and hope for the best. I really thought I wasn’t gonna end up with an internship, but I leveraged my strong suits and prayed to God and got something. There’s still gonna be opportunities but you gotta be ready to capture them!

I agree with you and I'm all ready for fall 2020 but the question is whether countries will open the VISA process or not.

That doesn't matter as travel restrictions are imposed by countries not by schools.
It matters greatly. If you are headed to a weak program, deferring seems like a very attractive option (internships will be harder than normal to secure, and you can try again for a better program next year). If you are headed to a strong program, the name will likely keep doors open for you at the top firms

It matters greatly. If you are headed to a weak program, deferring seems like a very attractive option (internships will be harder than normal to secure, and you can try again for a better program next year). If you are headed to a strong program, the name will likely keep doors open for you at the top firms
School is UCLA

Back