• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

dilemma for universities to apply..help

hello,
i am a computer engineer from mumbai university india. currently working as a junior analyst in risk managment group in a small firm.

GRE 800(quants)+530(verbal)

i met a counsellor and he gave me the list of following universities for MFE.

1. temple
2. polytechnic
3. florida state
4. USC
5. Baruch
6. Depaul
7. rutgers
8. stevens institute of technology

i think in this list only Baruch and USC is worth considering.?

how is the program at iilinois institute of technology at chicago
and georgia tech university at atlanta??

want the opinions of experts on this .

any help would be appreciated.

I know you already posted this on GD and I believe you will receive more response there for this kind of question.

QN is mostly for people who are already enrolled in an MFE program, working on Wall Street, recruiting for Wall Street or simply here to learn about quantitative finance.

That said, we are happy to offer insight on specific issues you may have AFTER you have done you thorough research on each of them.

Keep in mind that most of our members are tristate residents so our knowledge may be limited to local programs in the area.

But first, let me introduce you to our Quantnet wiki which has some info on a few programs on your list.

A few of our members are current students at Baruch, Stevens, Rutgers, Poly so if you search for each school here, there will be dozen of threads for each program. Most of us wouldn't know a thing about USC, DePaul, temple so GD will be a good place to ask.

By the way, I'm curious about the counselor you met. Is he US-based and did he say why he gave you this list of programs ?

how good a chance do i stand for baruch??

am i too late to apply for this fall 2008.

i tried to research for those programs , but the main problem is apart from the info on the website there is no interface which can tell about the career prospects after graduating from colleges like depaul, stevens etc.

will the merger of polytech with NYU be of any help for the new students of polytech in their placements

It seems like you're missing the point of Andy's response, so I'll try to answer your questions...

how good a chance do i stand for baruch??

I'm pretty sure you realize that no Baruch admissions person will actually respond to this. Look at their admissions stats, see how you compare, and realize that Baruch looks for more than just test scores and grades (it says so on their admissions page). Once you learn enough about their program, decide if you think you'd be a successful member of their class. If so, its up to you to convince the admissions board.

am i too late to apply for this fall 2008.

The application deadline is clearly listed on their website.

will the merger of polytech with NYU be of any help for the new students of polytech in their placements

Search for other posts on this subject, or call/write the director of the Poly program to see what changes may be coming to their program as a result of this merger.

i think in this list only Baruch and USC is worth considering.?

I don't mean to sound rude here, but you have obviously done little, if any, research on these programs so far. People on QuantNet tend to ignore postings like "I have a 4.0 GPA and 790 GRE, what schools can I get into?" Remember, research skills and the ability to work independently are key skills for Financial Engineers...

Back