• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Do hedge funds or similar require citizenship for job application?

It is said that only IBs will consider international students, while buy-side units such as hedge funds require citizenship and will not support international students.

It that ture?

The short answer is NO.
Citizenship and permanent residency are equivalent as far as eligibility is concerned.
I haven't heard of any hedge fund that flat out FILTER F-1 students. They may exist but those must be pretty small funds and in the minority.
If a fund is smart enough to attract hundred of millions dollars from investors, they are smart enough to hire top candidates, regardless of immigration status.

But what about the OPT status. Can the people take advantage of 18 month extension criteria for graduates if the person joins the finance industry?
Also if I am PhD in EE and I go to finance can I take advantage of 18 month extension?

The 18 month extension applied to math, technology, engineering and science graduates. Since you are clearly one of them, it should not be a problem for you to get an 18 month extension. There is some sort of rule saying that you should be employed in the area you have studied- I don't know how they'll implement that.

There was another thread about this long back. Just do a search. It had a link to the official immigration document released by the gov. I had read that but don't quite remember it.

Back