• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Does switching jobs in 5-6 months(full-time) 3 times before MFE application raises a red flag?

I switched my first on-campus offered job after 5 months to become a trader at a high-frequency trading firm. Now it's just been 5 months in this job and my manager is leaving the firm to join some other HFT and wants me to accompany him.
He will be paying me a higher salary and is insisting me to make a decision asap.

I wish to pursue MFE next fall and was wondering if frequent job switch hurts my profile. Can someone please advise me on this one?
If I switch, this would be my 3rd full-time job in less than a year.

I switched my first on-campus offered job after 5 months to become a trader at a high-frequency trading firm. Now it's just been 5 months in this job and my manager is leaving the firm to join some other HFT and wants me to accompany him.
He will be paying me a higher salary and is insisting me to make a decision asap.

I wish to pursue MFE next fall and was wondering if frequent job switch hurts my profile. Can someone please advise me on this one?
If I switch, this would be my 3rd full-time job in less than a year.
If it were me, I might think about the dilemma a little differently. A lot of people would “need to” get an MFE just for a chance to even be considered for the job you seemingly already have. Why not get several more years of on the job experience and then think about an MFE. You’d surely learn a lot simply from working in the field and being surrounded by experts.

If it were me, I might think about the dilemma a little differently. A lot of people would “need to” get an MFE just for a chance to even be considered for the job you seemingly already have. Why not get several more years of on the job experience and then think about an MFE. You’d surely learn a lot simply from working in the field and being surrounded by experts.
Absolutely spot on!

I feel HFT in India(due to staffing issues, I work as a quantitative researcher, developer and a trader, so super long working hours) is a lot different than in the US and if I pursue MFE now, ROI would be much higher, I'll get a better working environment and access to the US job market, which I am unable to get now.
With MFE, I can even target buy-side trading jobs or big brands in the HFT industry.

This was my thought process to get an MFE next year.

Back