• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Enhancing my MFE profile by taking online courses

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and I would like to know what online course (through extension or pre-course...etc) can I take to enhance my MFE profile? My goal is to get into one of the top ones (I am an international student so placement is really the top concern).

I graduated from UC-Irvine with 3.5 GPA majoring in Economics. I am planning on applying to MFE a year from now. When I was researching prerequisites for the top ones, I realized that many of them require certain level in 1)math i.e. calculus, linear algebra 2)programming i.e. C++, matlab, R 3)statistics. While I was in college, I didn't take any programming at all but I did take some basic math and stats.
I took:
Math:
Single-Variable Calculus(two courses both got A): Introduction to derivatives, calculation of derivatives of algebraic and trigonometric functions; applications including curve sketching, related rates, and optimization. Exponential and logarithm functions; Definite integrals; the fundamental theorem of calculus. Applications of integration including finding areas and volumes. Techniques of integration. Infinite sequences and series. Parametric and polar equations.
Math for Economists: Topics in linear algebra and multivariable differential calculus suitable for economic applications.

Stats:
Two basic courses with topics in:
Graphs, Central Tendency, Standard Deviation, z-scores, Categorical Variables, Simpson’s Paradox, Cramer’s V, Quantitative Variables, Correlation, Regression Line, Probability, Distributions, Expected Values, The Normal Probability Model, percentiles, skew, kurtosis, Type I and Type II Error, Confidence Intervals, Hypothesis Tests, Testing Proportions, Testing Means, the t-distribution, Chi-Squared Tests, Simple Regression

As you can tell, comparing with other applicants, I need to take more courses. So far I found out only 1.)Baruch (onsite except c++) 2.)UCB (online) offer pre-mfe courses. Are there any other options that I can consider? Any kind of certificate in programming or any math/stats courses?
I can also self-study/do online open course but would it be fine to just do that? Since it won't show on my applications if I just say, oh I studied all these on my own.

Any advice will be appreciated=)

Hey Johnny,
I think taking online courses is a great idea. I know that Georgia Tech offers online courses in computational investing and another course in machine learning for trading.
I'm still in university and I plan on also taking online courses to hopefully help my admissions application.

Back