• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Entry level quant developer jobs

Hello,

I'm currently on the lookout for an entry level developer/analyst position in the quant finance domain. I have ample experience in software engineering with 5 years work experience and a PhD in computer vision ( lots of Machine Learning ) and am quite familiar with numerical optimization, probability, statistics, calculus and linear algebra. I have used these in quite a few projects.

I would really appreciate some tips in order to get my foot in the quant space so that I can get experience and build up my profile from then on. I'm looking for jobs in London mainly and my long term goal is to be a quantitative analyst, but a developer role might be a good entry point. I understand that Machine Learning is more useful on the buy side especially in algorithmic trading. Unfortunately intenships aren't an option for me and I'm looking for a full time position.

I don't have experience in finance but am very willing to make up for that on the job.

Does anyone have tips on what kind of positions I should look for and whether in IBs or Hedge funds? Also what should my salary expectations be for a start. ( ballpark figure ).

Thanks a lot.

You said you don't want an internship, but they are the easiest way in given your lack of background in finance. It's not like they are unpaid, or even poorly paid (as for salary information, check all the regulars, glassdoors and headhunters)

The big issue is the uncertainty of whether you will have a job at the end of your tenure. If you do well, you will. Worst case scenario: there are no openings (and you should have a look and see if full time positions are being advertised as well in particular if you apply to European banks). You'll probably become aware of this well before your time is up, and so with an internship on your CV, you no longer have zero exposure to finance, and your resume is that much stronger for it.

You said you don't want an internship, but they are the easiest way in given your lack of background in finance. It's not like they are unpaid, or even poorly paid (as for salary information, check all the regulars, glassdoors and headhunters)

The big issue is the uncertainty of whether you will have a job at the end of your tenure. If you do well, you will. Worst case scenario: there are no openings (and you should have a look and see if full time positions are being advertised as well in particular if you apply to European banks). You'll probably become aware of this well before your time is up, and so with an internship on your CV, you no longer have zero exposure to finance, and your resume is that much stronger for it.

Hey KillingField,

Thanks for the reply. I'm unable to do the internship because I'm only allowed to work 20 hours on my student visa here and I doubt banks will give out part-time internships ( I abhor this rule btw, it's senseless ). If I had that option I would definitely go that route as it's common knowledge that banks prefer interns. Unfortunately I can't and have to try my way in for a full-time position.

With 5 years of SE work experience and a relevant PhD - I don't think you necessarily need an internship given that background. However what you lack is definitive experience or evidence to demonstrate your knowledge or interest in finance/markets/trading etc. My recommendation is for you to focus on funds that swing heavily tech, e.g. two sigma, rentech, DE shaw, AQR. Firms that frequently hire tech talent and/or PhD types and are OK with candidates without any prior finance experience whatsoever so they can be "fresh eyes". Traditional asset managers or banks might be less flexible with that.

With 5 years of SE work experience and a relevant PhD - I don't think you necessarily need an internship given that background. However what you lack is definitive experience or evidence to demonstrate your knowledge or interest in finance/markets/trading etc. My recommendation is for you to focus on funds that swing heavily tech, e.g. two sigma, rentech, DE shaw, AQR. Firms that frequently hire tech talent and/or PhD types and are OK with candidates without any prior finance experience whatsoever so they can be "fresh eyes". Traditional asset managers or banks might be less flexible with that.

Very good suggestions. However, it's very difficult to get response from these firms like two sigma, rentech, DE shaw, AQR if you submit resume on their webs. Is there any suggestion?

Very good suggestions. However, it's very difficult to get response from these firms like two sigma, rentech, DE shaw, AQR if you submit resume on their webs. Is there any suggestion?

Go through a recruiter. At least you'll probably get some sort of a response from the firm, like "background not mathematical enough", instead of radio silence.

If nothing else, drop you CV on efinancialcareers and if it is applicable to a quant role, you'll be contacted quite quickly.

Go through a recruiter. At least you'll probably get some sort of a response from the firm, like "background not mathematical enough", instead of radio silence.

If nothing else, drop you CV on efinancialcareers and if it is applicable to a quant role, you'll be contacted quite quickly.
Awesome. Thanks a lot.

Back