• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Failure of a related class

Hello folks. I am an EU guy and I want to apply for the EU schools only. In this exchange semester of mine I failed my Econometrics class, basically due to too much partying. But at the same time I succesfully passed other exchange semester classes such as "Introduction to Time Series Analysis" and "Advanced Behavioral Finance" also I got A at my other statistical classes. I am not a D/C guy but B+/A- guy. My GPA is 3.57/4. How would this failure affect my chances to accepted into any masters in Europe? All the doors are closed for Zurich or EPFL?

I doubt it will be a problem. One grade won't matter much. Recovery from it will. Overall preparedness will. Focus on bolstering strength instead.
Do applications to schools like you mentioned ask for supplementary material, like a thesis/research paper? You could refine something you've done and attach it. (For example, a paper on econometrics). You could build your programming skills and be able to show it. Honestly, you could even just earn a lot of money and say "I have no worries about the cost of living because I have money in the bank," in your letter of introduction. That would also increase your chances.

As long has you have the time an euros, apply to wherever you want/can, and don't waste time asking the "what are my chances" question. Have one or two backups, and see what happens.

Back