• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

FAQs - MFE

Hi,

I am a prospective student with a keen interest in the MFE Program at Baruch College. I have a Bachelors Degree in Science (with Honors) at the undergraduate level from India and an extensive experience in C++ and other programming and in Information Systems Management with a premier Indian corporation. During my tenure I have worked on the design and development of various automated financial systems for the company and I hope to leverage this experience with an MFE in jump starting my quantitative finance career on Wall Street. I have a few questions / requirements which I am listing below.

Ø I am interested in starting in the fall 2007 cohort and I wonder if it is too late to apply. I read that all applications postmarked by 30th April will be evaluated but I want to know if I should apply now or wait for the next year to maximize my chances of admission.

Ø Though I have a Science Degree and relevant experience, I do not strictly meet all prerequisites in terms of courses that one should have taken before applying. Can I work with someone in the student body or in the admissions office to see if my experience can work in lieu of some of these prerequisites?

Would be grateful if somebody could give me any contacts of students with similar situation.

Thanks and Regards,

Swati Tyagi

Ø I am interested in starting in the fall 2007 cohort and I wonder if it is too late to apply. I read that all applications postmarked by 30th April will be evaluated but I want to know if I should apply now or wait for the next year to maximize my chances of admission.

If you look at our home page at the math department
http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/math/masters.html

It says that all applicants, irrespective of when they apply (before the 30th April deadline) will be evaluated according to the same standards... and I am very sure that is indeed the case :) ....

Ø Though I have a Science Degree and relevant experience, I do not strictly meet all prerequisites in terms of courses that one should have taken before applying. Can I work with someone in the student body or in the admissions office to see if my experience can work in lieu of some of these prerequisites?
One of the best things about the baruch program is that all applications are considered individual level... We have had students from really diverse backgrounds, law for example.... indeed some of our students are from the science background...

Infact one of the good features of our program is the refresher courses :-- it is indeed meant for the students who do not have a background in certain areas : if you are admitted, you can take advantage of that before the actual classes...

Swati, as mentioned above, prospective students are evaluated on an individual basis. Students come from a variety of backgrounds and bring many different experiences to the program. If we were already experts in the field, we would not be going to school :) I believe the important thing is that you have the right mind for it.

My opinion (and it is only my opinion) is that you should apply for this year and if you are not accepted, find out what you need to do to be accepted. Maybe you will only need to take a course or two to strengthen one particular area. It is worth the shot if the application fee is not prohibitive.

Good luck.

Back