• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Final Decision- Columbia MSOR or BU MSMF?

Columbia MSOR or BU MSMF?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey guys,
Its basically the last day before I have to pay up and give in my final decision to Columbia University for the MSOR program and I just wanted to be a 100% sure if I am doing the right thing by choosing CU over BU.

So if anyone has any valid and helpful suggestions, not just out of hear-say, but some real information, I'd really appreciate them posting those ASAP !!

Thank you.

It would help if you elaborated on your background+ career goals.

Background: Bachelor of Engineering (Major: Chemical Engg) June 2011 from India. Aggregate of 7 semesters= 72%; GRE 1410(Q:800); Toefl:119;
Had applied to Columbia MFE and was redirected like a lot of others. Got am admit only in tier2 universities: BU MSMF / Rutgers MSMF/ GTech QCF/ U Mich FE
Rejects from : CMU MSCF/ UC Berkeley IEOR/ NYU Math Fin/Columbia MFE

Career goals.. More inclined towards finance than hard core quant. But that is more due to lack of information or insight on the latter. Maybe risk Management consultant/ analyst. Not sure yet.

I can't really advice you as I'm not very familiar with these programs. But, if you go to Columbia, you get the brand name (very important if you just want to enter finance) and you get to take courses from the MBA program (Columbia has a top-10 business school)

Yup. Im counting on that. You aren't familiar with Mathematical Finance at BU either? Its alright. No problem. Thanks anyway ! :)

Career goals.. More inclined towards finance than hard core quant. But that is more due to lack of information or insight on the latter. Maybe risk Management consultant/ analyst. Not sure yet.

Sounds like you have not done your homework. Why do a MFE if you don't want to do quantish type of a job? Why not do a MBA instead?

Back