• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Financial Engineering programs

Hi everyone.
I did my BCom from an open university, completed CFA level 2, I’m a math autodidact. (Stochastic Calculus, Differential Equations, Linear algebra, Statistics and more)
I learned C++, Python, R and Machine Learning.
My Quant GRE score is 170
IELTS - 8

I want to work at a Hedge Fund. I will probably need a masters degree. I’m more interested in financial engineering than an MBA.

I’d be grateful if the experts evaluate my chances of getting into a MFE program from a top university.

Tough call; there are enough people out there claiming to be autodidacts who in fact are suffering from Dunning-Kruger syndrome that it's difficult to filter the wheat from the chaff. Most programs require transcripts / proof of successful completion of the subject you mentioned to address this; it might be possible to pass the filter, but with 1000-1500 applicants for 24-150 spots in the top programs, it might be a tough sell.

One way to find out for sure, though. Go for it. At a minimum, you'll have more clearly defined goals as a result of the personal statement process.

Tough call; there are enough people out there claiming to be autodidacts who in fact are suffering from Dunning-Kruger syndrome that it's difficult to filter the wheat from the chaff. Most programs require transcripts / proof of successful completion of the subject you mentioned to address this; it might be possible to pass the filter, but with 1000-1500 applicants for 24-150 spots in the top programs, it might be a tough sell.

One way to find out for sure, though. Go for it. At a minimum, you'll have more clearly defined goals as a result of the personal statement process.
You’re probably right. But the problem is my degree doesn’t have math. Are there any credible online certifications equivalent to the prerequisites required?

You’re probably right. But the problem is my degree doesn’t have math. Are there any credible online certifications equivalent to the prerequisites required?
I'm in a similar situation. Graduated with a BBA at a top European Business School but unfortunately it didn't include much Math. I'm also looking forward to doing a MFE next year and I enrolled in a Mathematics Bachelor's degree in the Spanish Online University (I'm Spanish) just to complete 5 courses so there's an institution that can certificate I've done it.

I'm in a similar situation. Graduated with a BBA at a top European Business School but unfortunately it didn't include much Math. I'm also looking forward to doing a MFE next year and I enrolled in a Mathematics Bachelor's degree in the Spanish Online University (I'm Spanish) just to complete 5 courses so there's an institution that can certificate I've done it.

That’s good news! Is it available in English? Can you provide a link?
Thanks for the info

I'm not sure, but you may try the GRE math, the pre-MFE of the Baruch or take some actuarial exams. I'd love to hear if those could work.

The problem I see is that you need a document proving you have had a training in advanced math, and until now there's no way you can prove that.

the pre-MFE of the Baruch
To be able to take those Pre-MFE courses, you have to take them in undergrad first. They are meant to be for students who already have taken those classes but need some sort of a reminder/fresher.

Yes! That’s exactly the problem. Can you think of a solution?
If you are based out of India, check IGNOU - School of Sciences (SOS) - Programmes - Distance - BSc Mathematics (Major). If are interested and passionate, have a think, it's a better investment, if started early enough, than just whiling away time. You need to take exams just as an other regular student. The course material is very decent and on par with any of the regular full-time programs in India. Also check out
http://www.openuniversity.edu/courses/qualifications/q31?

If you are based out of India, check IGNOU - School of Sciences (SOS) - Programmes - Distance - BSc Mathematics (Major). If are interested and passionate, have a think, it's a better investment, if started early enough, than just whiling away time. You need to take exams just as an other regular student. The course material is very decent and on par with any of the regular full-time programs in India. Also check out
http://www.openuniversity.edu/courses/qualifications/q31?

Thanks Quasar! This really helps without putting a dent in my pocket. 😇

Back