• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Financial software development

Hi all,

I have recently completed my MS in Computer Sc and am working as a software developer.

I want to get into financial software development jobs (in hedge funds, or trading platform development...i am not looking for C# .NET jobs). I don't have any real work experience in C++, which seems to be the primary requirement. My current job doesn't involve working on C++.

Would it increase my chances if I start off with CFA level 1 exam, and work on my C++ skills and then start looking for financial developer jobs? This gives me some domain knowledge as well as some C++ skills. Please let me know if I am thinking along right lines or I am thinking of doing it the hard way? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

I want to get into financial software development jobs (in hedge funds, or trading platform development...i am not looking for C# .NET jobs). I don't have any real work experience in C++, which seems to be the primary requirement. My current job doesn't involve working on C++.

Would it increase my chances if I start off with CFA level 1 exam, and work on my C++ skills and then start looking for financial developer jobs? This gives me some domain knowledge as well as some C++ skills. Please let me know if I am thinking along right lines or I am thinking of doing it the hard way? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Just so you know, not wanting to develop in C# will greatly reduce the # of financial software opportunities available. That aside, yes--learn C++ if that's the language you want to program in. There is a list of good C++ books available on this site (look for any post by Andy, and click on the recommended reading list in his signature).

As a software developer, working towards a CFA will certainly open doors for you in the financial software world. Most financial companies see a large knowledge gap between the business and technology, which is why they have so many business analysts. However, if you have that financial domain knowledge, then, Dude, you will the the rug that really ties the room together...

In all seriousness, you are thinking about this in the right way...I wish our company had more developers that understood our business. You will definitely set yourself apart. Best of luck, Dude.

Back