• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Financial Time Series in R

Hello guys,

I am looking for a good book devoted to financial time series in R with a lot of examples so my question is what is the best one you have read ? I have a mathematical background and I also had a course devoted to time series during my studies but it was mainly devoted to some theoretical aspects. Now I look for a book with a strong emphasis on a practical part and which uses real data. I am especially interested in heteroscedasticity models like ARCH and GARCH but also in ARIMA models.

Could you guys recommend me something ? :) I was thinking about that https://www.amazon.com/Time-Analysis-Applications-Springer-Statistics/dp/0387759581 but I am not sure if it is the best choice.

I generally like these books: 5 Top Books on Time Series Forecasting With R. Im also a big fan of Rob J hyndman's book @ Forecasting: Principles and Practice. But I think these might be too basic for you.

Check out
Advances in Time Series Analysis and Forecasting by Rojas. It doesn't really have any R code but its pretty advanced.

Look into state space models and Neural Network as those would be next level stuff after Garch and ARIMA. ARIMA i believe is a basic state space model.

I've the second edition of Shumway's book. In my opinion, it's a nice blend of math and R code. R code and graphic illustrations are intuitive. Math formulas are rigorous. Together, they makes the exposition very clear.

btw: the e-version of the book is so nice, hyperlinks help to refer to other pages quickly.

Last edited:
Back