• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Fordham MSQF Fordham MSQF 2008 Admission

Fordham

It looks to me that Fordham started off with a plan of trying to straddle the differences between a MFE program & a traditional MSF program -- but then left out key math & programming courses. I see what they may have been trying to do, but maybe they need to reconsider the offerings or packaging of it...

just my $0.02

Fordham MSQF

JPast, Fordham may be a good program for what it focuses on, but it is not an MFE...

Yes, I think that was my general point.

What exactly is the "correct" MFE model? I personally would be "disappointed" in a quantitative finance program didn't also emphasize the ubnderlying business fundamentals.

It looks to me that Fordham started off with a plan of trying to straddle the differences between a MFE program & a traditional MSF program -- but then left out key math & programming courses. I see what they may have been trying to do, but maybe they need to reconsider the offerings or packaging of it...

just my $0.02

I can assure you, the program emphasizes both math and programming (vba, matlab, sas).

Fair points by the Fordham guys. I'm sure you guys join FU exactly because it is not like other traditional MFE programs.
To Jpast,
To be fair, I wouldn't say Quantnet writes off the program from the start. The first person who started dissing the program to the world wide web is a student in your program. Before that, nobody knows or has any opinion about that program.
I hope you know who I'm talking about Wilmott Forums - Fordham MSQF?
DISCUSSION on MFE programs (Formerly "Second-rate (and worse) MFE programs) - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum

Consequentially, FU is not helping its image much by flip-flopping on the internship issue.

Now looking forward, what can you guys do to help the program and yourself?
The program needs to be more transparent. Without it, future students would not be able to judge it objectively. When there is no data, they will rely on the info found on google which leads to Quantnet.

Now how you help yourself?
Arm yourself with technical skills that the program don't teach. Don't kid yourself that knowing VBA/SAS/Matlab is your advantage. Students at other programs know C++, VBA, SAS, Matlab much better than you do.
You think FU is the only program that uses real data and others use 5 year old data?
Baruch has live trading floor with live data 24/7 that students can tap into.

With what going on with Wall Street, do you think it would be enough with what you learn to get a job, any job?

I'm sure FU will evolve and get better with time but it's you who makes the best out of it. Don't let them tell you what's good for you. Look around and see what skills are in demand.

Back