• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Free access to MATLAB?

I am trying to learn MATLAB on my own and, as far as I see, MATLAB has no trial versions available on their site for students. I have also asked around the Subotnik center (I am referring to Baruch College) and they do not seem to make this software available.

Might anyone know if the company who manufactures MATLAB has any other ways to allow students to work with the program, or am I just out of luck if my school does not offer it?

I am trying to learn MATLAB on my own and, as far as I see, MATLAB has no trial versions available on their site for students. I have also asked around the Subotnik center (I am referring to Baruch College) and they do not seem to make this software available.

Might anyone know if the company who manufactures MATLAB has any other ways to allow students to work with the program, or am I just out of luck if my school does not offer it?

There used to be a student version but as far as I know that's about it. You can try Octave since it is a Matlab clone for free.... kind of slow but it works. Why do you want to learn precisely Matlab? We used R at work and it seems pretty good. Check this benchmarks

Benchmark 2

There is MATAB installed in VC building computer labs in Baruch. At least on the 6th floor.

I did look through the programs on the 6th floor computers and didn't see MATLAB. I even asked one of the people working there and they said they didn't have it. I will definitely look again on Monday. It was probably right in front of my eyes.

What got me interested in MATLAB was an internship at a hedge fund posted on Baruch's STARR search which mentioned it as a requirement. I'd like to at least gain some familiarity with the interface and command input, since it seems useful.

Strangely, I asked two lecturing professors at the Subotnick center about it and even they were only vaguely familiar with it. Ah, well.

Thank you for the pointers and for the link to Octave.

I did look through the programs on the 6th floor computers and didn't see MATLAB. I even asked one of the people working there and they said they didn't have it. I will definitely look again on Monday. It was probably right in front of my eyes.
Baruch has many labs, each is equipped with different kind of software for different majors. Room 6-130/6-145 has Matlab
Software on Lab Computers - BCTC - Baruch College
What got me interested in MATLAB was an internship at a hedge fund posted on Baruch's STARR search which mentioned it as a requirement. I'd like to at least gain some familiarity with the interface and command input, since it seems useful.
This brings an interesting point. The STARR system is a huge database of jobs, internship maintained by Baruch college career service. It is used by most undergrad students but massively underused by the Baruch MFE students. I know that because we never bother to check our college email, or sign up for the STARR system. I visited it twice when I was looking for internship. What I found is a wealth of positions, many specially targeted the MFE students.

You will not find all the big banks there (maybe you do, I only visited twice) but last time I was there, there are many banks, hedge funds that are looking for MFE students. There were the big guys like JPM, Morgan, Lehman and small guys like Susquehanna International Group, Fitch Ratings, and countless other local hedge funds.

I think the key is to keep checking it daily because when I checked it, I missed out on many good positions from all the big BB.

Def utilize the STARR. all the big banks put they positions on that system.
Strangely, I asked two lecturing professors at the Subotnick center about it and even they were only vaguely familiar with it. Ah, well.
They probably aren't people working in quantitative finance. Economists or finance people I guess.

You can buy the student version of Matlab for $99. Consider you will learn it to get into hedge fund, it's a small price to pay
http://www.mathworks.com/academia/student_version/

Back