• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

From top 5 Masters programs to NYU / Columbia

Hi All,

I am a Masters student in a top 5 CS department in USA (think MIT / Princeton / Harvard / Stanford / Caltech), and I'm interested in applying to NYU / Columbia for the MFE program.

From talking to friends in financial services, I am being told that going from my current university to NYU would be like a downgradation of my qualifications, and it would be difficult for me to justify my decision to any recruiter [PS: No offense to NYU, I am simply stating what a friend of mine (VP@bulge']VP @ bulge bracket) told me. On the other hand, Columbia has a much better brand name & hence a greater sellability with respect to placements.

Is there anyone with more knowledge of NYU / Columbia, who can share their opinion ?

Thanks !
Shweta

Why don't you try to do financial engineering at your university itself? I am just curious

Maybe this will sound naive but why stress yourself out worrying and wasting time with applications acceptances, etc? If you are happy with your school and it is just a matter of career service you should be fine: sell yourself! You're a 2X master IVY league student! Heck, I want to hire you now and I don't even know who you are ;)

MRoss - I am in a CS program, and want a job in finance... surely, i need good career center services !

Do you have access to your alumni database? that's all you need. Ask some one to set up an interview. I understand it is not quite easy, but it is possible.

first, downgradation is not a word.

second, if you're interested in finance (actually, not "oh, i like fast paced environments and i think it'd be fun"), why not go to a top mfe program? it would actually be a pretty easy sell to a recruiter as to why you pursued to course you did.

and i disagree with your friend's opinion re: nyu's program.

It appears OP and his friend are not familiar of the hiring culture within the MFE niche in NYC. The crux of it is all about dedicated career services available these MFE students at each program, not at the university level, something the OP should know really well about, coming from an Ivy with a "horrible career services".

I would strongly suggest that OP talks to current/recent students at any programs he/she is interested in, learn about the opportunities at each programs and how to make the best of them.

And don't forget to read the QuantNet Guide, you will get a whole lot more out of it than listing to friends who are not familiar with the MFE niche.

first, downgradation is not a word.

second, if you're interested in finance (actually, not "oh, i like fast paced environments and i think it'd be fun"), why not go to a top mfe program? it would actually be a pretty easy sell to a recruiter as to why you pursued to course you did.

and i disagree with your friend's opinion re: nyu's program.

mfegrad: When you say "go to a top mfe program", do you mean to say that nyu / columbia are NOT among the top few programs (at least in your personal opinion) ?

Andy: Thanks, I get your point. But I do not know anyone first-hand at NYU / Columbia. So I have to depend on other people's opinions. Given your knowledge & understanding of the different programs, it would be really helpful to hear your personal opinion about the NYU & Columbia programs in terms of reputation, given that i am coming from a top5 CS masters program. (PS: I am a she, not a 'he' :))

mfegrad: When you say "go to a top mfe program", do you mean to say that nyu / columbia are NOT among the top few programs (at least in your personal opinion) ?

when i wrote that, i was simply saying that going to a top program might very well help you.

Back