Full Time Job or MFE at top 5 Programs?

Hi All,

I need your advice, so I got a job offer in Portfolio Risk Management, I am still in school and graduate in December( I am getting my MA in Econ).
At the same time I got admitted to one of top 5 MFE programs. I can't really decide what to do.

Accepting the job pros:
1) It pays 5 times rent in that one city where I got the job
2) They will sponsor my green card, since I am an international student

Cons:
1) career path won't be the best (their approach isn't as modern and sophisticated)
2) Given up full time MFE

I could do the finish the MFE part-time, and if I do it part-time, it's going to be online, so I could finish it in 2 years, by then I should have my green card, and look for a quant job.
At the same time I am worried that doing so would hurt my career, and maybe going straight for an MFE would be a wiser approach. I can't make up my mind, and honestly I have no experience in the market, which makes making a decision like this a lot harder.

What would you advise me to do? Should I go for a part-time MFE?
placement at this program is almost a 100%, so finding a job after isn't an issue, but accepting this job offer seems a bit logical, I don't know, I am looking for your inputs. Thanks
 
Hi All,

I need your advice, so I got a job offer in Portfolio Risk Management, I am still in school and graduate in December( I am getting my MA in Econ).
At the same time I got admitted to one of top 5 MFE programs. I can't really decide what to do.

Accepting the job pros:
1) It pays 5 times rent in that one city where I got the job
2) They will sponsor my green card, since I am an international student

Cons:
1) career path won't be the best (their approach isn't as modern and sophisticated)
2) Given up full time MFE

I could do the finish the MFE part-time, and if I do it part-time, it's going to be online, so I could finish it in 2 years, by then I should have my green card, and look for a quant job.
At the same time I am worried that doing so would hurt my career, and maybe going straight for an MFE would be a wiser approach. I can't make up my mind, and honestly I have no experience in the market, which makes making a decision like this a lot harder.

What would you advise me to do? Should I go for a part-time MFE?
placement at this program is almost a 100%, so finding a job after isn't an issue, but accepting this job offer seems a bit logical, I don't know, I am looking for your inputs. Thanks
I would not do the part time program. I’ve done part time programs before and they don’t provide nearly the careers service benefits that a full time program would despite what the marketing materials might say. And the career services are arguably the most important part of the program since they can give you an inside track to the companies you want to work for.
 
Top