• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

general question

I am just begining to explore different graduate school options. It seems that there are a lot of financial math fields that are very similar. I am sure this question would require a very long answer, but what are the basic differences between, financial engineering , quantitative finance, industrial engineering, operations research? Are the basically all the same? Do certain ones restrict what type of work you can do? Is any considered the most difficult? Do they all involve the same level of mathematics? Thanks very much.

I think that the level of mathematics used/taught in the different programs depends on the school. If you want to work with numbers study Applied Math, Based on your experience and skill you can apply your knowledge to different entry level tracks in finance. Getting your first job is key. In the large picture Financial Engineers have higher paying jobs, but most financial engineers had work experience in finance before they began their MFE program. If you have an undergrad degree in a quantitative field and you want to get into the engineering side of the business, find a job as an analyst, gain experience and then study Financial Engineering. An MFE graduate without experience is not going to get the best offers.

Back