• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Georgia Tech QCF vs Columbia MAFN

Georgia Tech QCF vs Columbia MAFN

• Georgia Tech QCF

• Columbia MAFN

Results are only viewable after voting.
This year, my best friend and classmate is going to Columbia MAFN and I am going to Gatech QCF, we are all Chinese;
I admit that in China, Columbia brand name is over Gatech and students here mostly would choose Columbia MAFN, it will be better for them to back to work.
But I see Gatech has the following advantages:
1) Our placements, for the past consecutive 3 years, we have almost 100% rates of getting an American job with average 110,000 dollars;

2) The cost, we only need to pay (60,000 for the whole tuition)+(15,000 2b1b for the three semesters), while for Columbia MAFN it's almost double cost.

3) We have so many chances in Gatech, part of our students get Teaching assistant and Research assistant position which paid 1,800$ per month.
We could choose to double a CS degree or a MBA degree if we want and we have some overlapped courses with them.

4) We have a smaller class size, we all unite closely.

5) We are hot in Atlanta, at least you can find jobs here, however, 40% of students finally came into New York, its not a long trip from Atlanta to New York;

6) You are talking about Target school, but I will be their target man, and if I worked there, Gatech will be their target school too.

Y'all diss Columbia MAFN like it's trash, but it ranks 8th with a reason.
If you know that reason why not speak out loud so that all of us can be better served? Grumbling says nothing. This only implies that you don't even know why such a program with poor stat can rank so high.

Y'all diss Columbia MAFN like it's trash, but it ranks 8th with a reason.

Yeah QuantNet lists it as 37% placement rate at graduation and the program itself does not even release placement stats.

Oh yeah, no red flags at all. Just blindly throw money and set aside years of your academic career for the Columbia "brand name".

So I wonder why people choose CMU and Cornell over Tandon when Tandon has a higher placement rate at graduation

I do not understand why people are anomalously salty and defensive in this thread.
That’s because they are comparing two similar programs (both have pros & cons). If they are comparing Princeton and one of the two, I think discussion in this thread would be in great harmony. lol

CU MFE also infamous for its bad career service. Also you told me academic strength? If you are an undergraduate or PHD, that does matter. Master is job oriented who cares about your academic strength? Also, remember the program is called financial engineering, not engineering. If GIT is good at Finance, please let me know. I feel like you have a strong confirmation bias such that "you" are the world.
I dont get your point. Are you in favor of GaTech or not? I'm just objecting those picking GaTech over MAFN. If you hold the same point then dont speak in a weird tone. If you dont just list your statement and dont reply rhetorically

Last edited:
CU MFE also infamous for its bad career service. Also you told me academic strength? If you are an undergraduate or PHD, that does matter. Master is job oriented who cares about your academic strength? Also, remember the program is called financial engineering, not engineering. If GIT is good at Finance, please let me know. I feel like you have a strong confirmation bias such that "you" are the world.
Ridiculous. Now I figure out you are actually against MAFN. Whatever, go ahead please. I dont know where do you graduate and I dont know why you have such a grudge for these BRANDNAMES. If you hate them, just dont apply for these program at the very beginning and plunge into your favorite GIT mate. It brings your great engineering knowledge with its great engineering schools, great jobs with its great placement stat, and costs you much less than those cash cow program like MAFN, CU MFE whose tuition is bloody 10k dollars higher than GIT. JESUS!!! 10k dollars, what a cash cow those entering CU programs are! 300+ people competing for couple of quota and limited positions in NYC.
You question me taking myself as the world? You are taking US as the world. GIT has better stat in US, but HK, mainland China, Singapore have quant jobs or just finance job and good pay as well. I dont see living in US making 11k a year before tax, hard to get involved in foreign culture, with no parents around and leaving them at hometown getting old and sick is decent life. You may say US is superior, then you are the one seeing himself being the world as well. Dont ask me why I dislike US and go there for master, mainland has no good graduate education for derivatives and that's all the reason.

So I wonder why people choose CMU and Cornell over Tandon when Tandon has a higher placement rate at graduation
Two parties clearly. Those diss MAFN as it is trash with only brand name to boast, those diss GIT as it has no brand name. Let's wait and see those GIT lovers will end up at where 10 years or 20 years after graduation. I've seen too many cases that people with inadequate capacity got promoted just because his leader and him shared the same school name. It's ridiculous to focus 100% on ABILITY in the workplace.

Ridiculous. Now I figure out you are actually against MAFN. Whatever, go ahead please. I dont know where do you graduate and I dont know why you have such a grudge for these BRANDNAMES. If you hate them, just dont apply for these program at the very beginning and plunge into your favorite GIT mate.

What a reasonable, well thought out, logical response. I see that you are clearly able and willing to debate the merits of those two programs instead of typing "Columbia" and "brand name" over and over again.

Why should program quality, career services and placement stats matter at all, right? Just rank every single program by how good the SCHOOL is.

What a reasonable, well thought out, logical response. I see that you are clearly able and willing to debate the merits of those two programs instead of typing "Columbia" and "brand name" over and over again.

Why should program quality, career services and placement stats matter at all, right? Just rank every single program by how good the SCHOOL is.
Methodology is out there, placement stat accounts for 55% and MAFN still 5 slots higher than GIT. I think that is enough reason to pick MAFN. If you cant understand why 37% cant beat 71%, I can explain that from brand name aspect. If you still cant, I got nothing to say. I at first thought that this would be an easy topic. But I was wrong actually.

Methodology is out there, placement stat accounts for 55% and MAFN still 5 slots higher than GIT. I think that is enough reason to pick MAFN. If you cant understand why 37% cant beat 71%, I can explain that from brand name aspect. If you still cant, I got nothing to say. I at first thought that this would be an easy topic. But I was wrong actually.

Well gosh, we might as well cease all discussion then. Just see who ranks higher in QuantNet's table and leave it at that, huh?

Pointing to the QuantNet ranking and shouting "scoreboard" is a horrendous argument.

Why did this thread get so hostile? It's pretty simple in my opinion if you want a more math rigorous program in which you think you can excel in go to MAFN. If you want an overall quant finance program with good career services go to GIT. We all know MAFN has shit career services, but some people don't really care about that. So depending on what your career goals and strengths are chose the school you are more suited for.

Well gosh, we might as well cease all discussion then. Just see who ranks higher in QuantNet's table and leave it at that, huh?

Pointing to the QuantNet ranking and shouting "scoreboard" is a horrendous argument.
So what's your opinion then? Placement says everything? OK I just dont agree with you. But of course you can have your idea, which indeed makes sense I admit that. I, from my opinion, dont put job stat as the whole thing. It is important, but not the whole thing. Brand name, of course ranks lower than job stats, I agree, but has to be taken into account. You may be not a Chinese and have no thought to go back to HK or mainland to work, so it's quite reasonable to think in your way. I'm different. And I've told you the case in those places, where CU has an incredible name. And if I have offended you, my apologies.

So what's your opinion then? Placement says everything? OK I just dont agree with you. But of course you can have your idea, which indeed makes sense I admit that. I, from my opinion, dont put job stat as the whole thing. It is important, but not the whole thing. Brand name, of course ranks lower than job stats, I agree, but has to be taken into account. You may be not a Chinese and have no thought to go back to HK or mainland to work, so it's quite reasonable to think in your way. I'm different. And I've told you the case in those places, where CU has an incredible name. And if I have offended you, my apologies.

Placement stats are NOT everything, did not post or suggest that, don't use straw man arguments or put words in my mouth.

And no worries, you have not offended me, I was simply pointing out the flaw in the argument of using the "brand name" to dismiss anyone who may favor Georgia Tech over Columbia.

Placement stats are NOT everything, did not post or suggest that, don't use straw man arguments or put words in my mouth.

And no worries, you have not offended me, I was simply pointing out the flaw in the argument of using the "brand name" to dismiss anyone who may favor Georgia Tech over Columbia.
OK. I was a bit mad then, my apologies. These two programs have their own merits separately, but as a Chinese who may want to return back to work, Columbia is much better, all the reason is brand name. That's all my statement and can hardly be applied to other cases like Indians or US citizens.

OK. I was a bit mad then, my apologies. These two programs have their own merits separately, but as a Chinese who may want to return back to work, Columbia is much better, all the reason is brand name. That's all my statement and can hardly be applied to other cases like Indians or US citizens.
Thank you guys' arguments, which greatly improve Gatech 's brand name, I will ask if our director would like to pay you cups of coffee. Thank you!

Back