• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Georgia Tech QCF vs MSFM Chicago

QCF Georgia Tech vs MSFM Chicago

• Total voters
I have received admits from both of them. Please let me know your opinions/ suggestions

Personally, I'd prefer Gatech since there's a chance that you can get a Master in CS at the same time. However, if the brand name is your primary concern, or if you want to and/or think you can get into one of the prop shops in Chicago, maybe MSFM would be a better choice.

Simple if u get a significant scholarship and if you want to become a trading quant of work in a prop trading firm no doubt chicago
And uchicago brand is unmatched its alsmost like an ivy league college. And the repuation of booth school will let u get more finance kind of jobs as well if you are interested in that
there is some chance for georgia tech graduate to end up in atlanta so if u get a scholarship uchicago is a better choice if not gatech

Furthermore if you were a recent graduate with no workex or with low programming experience gatech might be a good choice.
If you have workex and programming experience then uchicagos fast paced 15 month program is both economical timewise and money wise
U will also have the added advantage of chicago location.
Uchicago is the undisputed king of chicago unlike in nyc where u would be competeing with cmu columbia baruch nyu courant grads
It gets kind of hard to compete with them from a remote location of atlanta For gatech grads
There is also uchicago msfm industry lab where students do projects with top trafing firms etc
Its has been historically a sure shot way of getting into trading firms in chicago

Personally, I'd prefer Gatech since there's a chance that you can get a Master in CS at the same time. However, if the brand name is your primary concern, or if you want to and/or think you can get into one of the prop shops in Chicago, maybe MSFM would be a better choice.
Thank you for your response. Yeah the CS dual option does seem tempting. However I do wish to work for prop shops/asset management firms. Not sure if I could get though 😅

Furthermore if you were a recent graduate with no workex or with low programming experience gatech might be a good choice.
If you have workex and programming experience then uchicagos fast paced 15 month program is both economical timewise and money wise
U will also have the added advantage of chicago location.
Uchicago is the undisputed king of chicago unlike in nyc where u would be competeing with cmu columbia baruch nyu courant grads
It gets kind of hard to compete with them from a remote location of atlanta For gatech grads
There is also uchicago msfm industry lab where students do projects with top trafing firms etc
Its has been historically a sure shot way of getting into trading firms in chicago
Yeah I do have a decent enough scholarship which would make the tuition fees more or less the same for both. Also I do have some relevant experience, but not particularly good at coding though.

Chicago's project lab is definitely a trump card. It has better location. Historically better for getting into buy side firms. Despite all this why is Chicago ranked below Gatech in Quantnet? I just fear that I am missing something.

Last edited:
Ok quantnet rankings are sometimes an overshoot and an undershoot.
Do your own research and talk to ppl on LinkedIn
If you think about it anyway these two programs are side by side in rankings and peer rating for uchicago is higher and average salary as well
And rankings are not absolute it depends on the situation as i said if you were a fresh graduate with no workex uchicago wouldnt be a good deal.

everything has an IF condition
Quantnet has their own if conditions for their rankings
You have to make ur own rankings mentally by using your own profile and preferences

And btw professors at uchicago are like amazing level there are like nearly 100 nobel laureates

The quantnet rankings between these two schools are pretty dismissive considering their stats are relatively similar. Chicago is really a hub for high frequency trading, which may not be "typical" buyside to some people. I have no idea where people from georgia tech go, but I've seen uchicago come up more often for trading jobs on linkedin

will a school even let you do that? I don't think double master works the same as doing a double major if that's where you're going

will a school even let you do that? I don't think double master works the same as doing a double major if that's where you're going
Yes the option is there but its not ms in cs its ms in cse
The offer dual in computational science and engineering not computer science
Most ppl dont know that

nope... In their wait-list though. Waiting to hear from them soon for final decision. But I guess that would just add to my dilemma 😅
Not to be rude to people who got admits but this year i have noticed people with good profiles who got admit to georgia tech cornell columbia even got waitlisted or rejected by nyu
Its like nyu is deliberately giving admits to average profiles i dont understand their criteria at all

Ok quantnet rankings are sometimes an overshoot and an undershoot.
Do your own research and talk to ppl on LinkedIn
If you think about it anyway these two programs are side by side in rankings and peer rating for uchicago is higher and average salary as well
And rankings are not absolute it depends on the situation as i said if you were a fresh graduate with no workex uchicago wouldnt be a good deal.

everything has an IF condition
Quantnet has their own if conditions for their rankings
You have to make ur own rankings mentally by using your own profile and preferences

And btw professors at uchicago are like amazing level there are like nearly 100 nobel laureates
Agreed. By the way, I do believe that some programs on the Quantnet rankings are not being very honest about their placement statistics. One should always take it with a grain of salt.

So actually I have been fortunate enough to receive financial aid from U Chicago, so my tuition actually comes out to be slightly lesser than that of Georgia tech. So from a value for money perspective, both the programs are on par for me.

Hey ! I received an offer from GATech.. And the decision letter has the line " Please note acceptance into the program is not final until confirmed by Georgia Tech's Office of Graduate Studies "
Is it same for everyone and has anybody received the final acceptance post this step.

You need to pay deposit first. Then few days later receive the confirmation email

Back