• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MAFN Get waitlisted in this program, wait or go to Oxford?

Greetings everyone,
I am currently waitlisted in Columbia MAFN, and it is said that it's a short waitlist and takes just few weeks to get the final result. However, I am currently admitted into Oxford Mathematical and Computational Finance, and they request me to accept my offer before 10th of May to get into it. So here comes the problem, should I just wait or go to the Oxford program?
here's some pros and cons:
Oxford
Advantage:

1 Nice brand reputation.
2 Relatively low living cost and tuition fee ( which I do not care so much ).
3 Perfect living and academic environment.
4 30-40 of class sizes.
Disadvantage:
1 Not easy to the City because of immigration policy, and because I have no time for internship during this program, it is hard to stay in UK for financial working, maybe I have to move to HK or Singapore after graduation.
2 The course structure is quite theoretical and extremely heavy.
3 It goes directly from October to August next year, no time for internship.
4 The career service is not so good, or I should say, almost no career service in this program.
5 It seems that this course is kinda phD oriented.

Columbia
Advantage:

1 Also nice brand reputation (IVY!).
2 New York city, USA, tons of opportunities.
3 It is said that it's more practical.
4 3-semesters structure, this allows me to get some internship during summer vacation. Also, that wouldn't put a heavy burden like Oxford to rush all courses in 10 months, and if possible, I could learn more things by this longer time.
5 Highly ranked in Quantnet!
6 According to an alumni, they do have a great chance to get internship during summer, even for asia.
Disadvantge:
1 Relatively high living cost and tuition fee.
2 Maybe few computing courses in this program?
3 Have no advantage compared to Columbia MFE and New York MathFin, so the competition is quite fierce, even though more opportunities.
4 The environment may be a little bit fickle? or maybe the public security is not so good?

So could you please give me some advice, I would really appreciate that. And if possible, anyone could tell me some tips to get higher in waitlist?

Just email Laurent your situation, and request an early decision by May 10th.

But it's said that early decision would be extreme strict, that takes risk.

But you have no choice, and there were cases that people got admission after requesting early decision.

But you have no choice, and there were cases that people got admission after requesting early decision.
Thanks for your advice. But actually my point is more focused on the comparison of these two programs, any advice?

Thanks for your advice. But actually my point is more focused on the comparison of these two programs, any advice?
I am not familiar with Oxford MCF program, but considering the visa policy in UK, if you get Columbia, I suggest you go.

So you're saying that most of the people that have gotten admitted so far are the ones that have requested early decision because they have offers elsewhere?

They claim they do rolling admission on their website, yet most people are still in the 'Pending' stage on the Tracker. I'm assuming they are just waiting until all apps come in at the deadline?

So you're saying that most of the people that have gotten admitted so far are the ones that have requested early decision because they have offers elsewhere?

They claim they do rolling admission on their website, yet most people are still in the 'Pending' stage on the Tracker. I'm assuming they are just waiting until all apps come in at the deadline?
Maybe they said that it is just a short waitlist,but the result would be announced only after they finish all reviews.

Maybe they said that it is just a short waitlist,but the result would be announced only after they finish all reviews.
Oh really? Did they say that in the email? I'm just shocked that they are able to place people on the waitlist this early. I understand if there's a very strong candidate and they admit him/her. I also understand the opposite situation, if the person doesn't have enough credentials. But why not just wait to respond to everyone else who is in the middle?

Just curious, when did you apply and when did you get the waitlist notification?

Oh really? Did they say that in the email? I'm just shocked that they are able to place people on the waitlist this early. I understand if there's a very strong candidate and they admit him/her. I also understand the opposite situation, if the person doesn't have enough credentials. But why not just wait to respond to everyone else who is in the middle?

Just curious, when did you apply and when did you get the waitlist notification?
Really no idea, actually I do not think that my profile is so competitive compared to others'.
I applied on 10th of February, and received the notification this Monday.

Back