• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Got accepted into the WashU MSF program, proceed or wait?

Hello,

I've recently just got into the WashU quant finance program, I would say I was pretty lucky, as I'm an accounting major and I don't really have any math-related credentials going for me except for a good math score on the GMAT. However, reading online, it doesn't seem like their quant program is known for placing people into props/S&T/quants. Should I proceed with WashU, or wait and apply to other programs next year?

I would probably wait, not merely because of what you say about their placement stats but because it's unclear what the status of financial engineering is going to be next year.

I would probably wait, not merely because of what you say about their placement stats but because it's unclear what the status of financial engineering is going to be next year.

The biggest problem for me is that, I'm not sure that if I can even get into other programmes. I'm not from a STEM background, and my GMAT verbal is abysmal (can't wrap my head around it). My current plan is to renegotiate for scholarships, and if not, a delayed admission. My GPA is good (3.9) but not much experience with coding either. My chances at these top schools (MIT, CMU, etc) are next to 0 due to a lack of a STEM background I feel like.

I rejected WashU too because their program is too expensive and prob not quant enough

The biggest problem for me is that, I'm not sure that if I can even get into other programmes. I'm not from a STEM background, and my GMAT verbal is abysmal (can't wrap my head around it). My current plan is to renegotiate for scholarships, and if not, a delayed admission. My GPA is good (3.9) but not much experience with coding either. My chances at these top schools (MIT, CMU, etc) are next to 0 due to a lack of a STEM background I feel like.
Hard to learn in quantitative programs without a good maths background. Have you looked at MS CS programs? You'd get into better professional programs and have a better outcome in terms of career. A lot of banks need good tech talent so you'd be a good fit there as well.

Back