• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

GRE Math Subject Test

Hi,
Im new here and dont know much about the protocol. I tried looking for an answer to my question but couldnt find it...if it is there then its my bad.
My question is:
Im sure there is a thin line to tread between a score on the GRE Math Subject Test between a score that will enhance your admission prospects and one that will hinder them. So, what in your opinion is the LEAST percentile that a person can send as part of his application to an MFE program? Im pretty confused because someone told me its 70 but I figured its closer to 80.

I was under the impression that ETS sends all your GRE scores if you request them to be sent to schools. But maybe I'm wrong.

75% would be good, given that you compete with people going for math PhDs.

real analysis and abstract algebra part the GRE math requires will help u understand stochastic calculus in the future:)

I was under the impression that ETS sends all your GRE scores if you request them to be sent to schools. But maybe I'm wrong.

I guess youre confusing the Maths part of GRE General Test (which score I have to send as part of my General Test Scores) with the Math Subject Test, which I can of course decide not to send scores of.

I guess youre confusing the Maths part of GRE General Test (which score I have to send as part of my General Test Scores) with the Math Subject Test, which I can of course decide not to send scores of.

No :) I'm talking about the Math GRE test, not the Quant portion of the General GRE.
I took GRE Math long time ago, and when I send my scores to schools, I get a report in the mail; that report has all my GRE schores - General and Math - I have taken in the past. So I'm wondering if the schools receive the same report, or maybe they receive just the scores I'm asking for.

No :) I'm talking about the Math GRE test, not the Quant portion of the General GRE.
I took GRE Math long time ago, and when I send my scores to schools, I get a report in the mail; that report has all my GRE schores - General and Math - I have taken in the past. So I'm wondering if the schools receive the same report, or maybe they receive just the scores I'm asking for.
Hmm...I guess things have changed because now the website says:
"You may choose to send only General Test scores, only Subject Test scores, only stand-alone Analytical Writing or Writing Assesment scores, or any combination of the above, but you may not choose to have only those scores from a specific test date reported."
It may also be that I have misunderstood what they are trying to say. Thanks for the help though!

"You may choose to send only General Test scores, only Subject Test scores, only stand-alone Analytical Writing or Writing Assesment scores, or any combination of the above, but you may not choose to have only those scores from a specific test date reported."
It may also be that I have misunderstood what they are trying to say. Thanks for the help though!

A well nuanced post, indeed ;)

Well :) if they say you can send General without sending Subject, then that is seems to be the case :)

So anyway...as an update to that I got an 80th percentile score which I guess is pretty good considering my non-math background and a month of study.
Hope the score does increase my chances of admission

So anyway...as an update to that I got an 80th percentile score which I guess is pretty good considering my non-math background and a month of study.
Hope the score does increase my chances of admission

congratulations, and good luck with the rest of your application!

Back