• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

GRE Quant help

Hi,

This seems like the best place to ask, with my GRE I'm stuck in the 160s and any advice about how to plan preparation properly to hit 170 would be great.
I'm using Gregmat and now have the Manhattan 5lb nook.
In my ETS practice papers I''m getting 164 ish but my mistakes seem to fall into two categories:
>Not recognising concepts quickly and getting bogged down in qs
>Reading mistakes, quite literally missing words in qs and getting things wrong as a result

Thanks in advance

Manhattan 5lb is too easy. I would focus on grinding each subsection and tracking: 1) accuracy, 2) time spent on each question. Tracking as such will help you boil down your weaknesses.

I went brute force and solved 5LB, GRE Big book (choose questions where only 45% of students got the question correct, and below), and all 500/600/700 level questions on gmatclub.com (choose sources: Manhattan Prep, Official Guide, Magoosh, GMAT Club Tests).

Hope this helps.

PS: also do realize that there is a variation from one score to the next. You might get 170 on a good day, while you could get 168 on a bad one. There is also a strategy in regard to bonus points for the quant section... but that's the secret sauce I discovered on my own. Hint: don't miss some specific questions for both sections 1 and 2.

(I got Q169 FYI)

Also, to make you feel better, here were my practice and real scores: P- Q163, P-Q168, P-Q167, Real- Q167, P-Q170, Real- Q169. I started off with a Q163 a month and a half before getting Q169.

Last edited:
Back