• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

HackerRank vs LeetCode vs ?

Hello,

For quant interviews, what site is generally recommended for practicing programming/algorithms/data structures?

Or would it be better to try some sort of data manipulation/statistics exercises like kaggle?

bump..i'd like to know about this as well. I practice on hackerank atleast twice a week to keep activity graph nice and green but feel like most questions are contrived. Are they actually representative of interviews?

if you pay for leetcode they have interview questions by company. that is what i use exclusively now (used to use hackerrank)

Leetcode your way out to pass code interviews.

this idea of leetcoding is like levelling in mmo rpg. You start with the easy ones then struggle with the mediums. You will feel struggle and frustrated at first but the more you practice the better you get. At the end you try the hard ones (just like raiding but it will take u tons of hours due to its insane difficulty).

also if you stop practicing, you get rusted and next time you look for a new job you start over again.

exactly like mmo rpg lmaoo.

It is arguably if this is the right approach for hiring to ask these coding questions. But I guess there is no other way to access a person’s quality with short amount of time in an interview. this seems to be just a way to filter out the yoloer :)

Leetcode your way out to pass code interviews.

this idea of leetcoding is like levelling in mmo rpg. You start with the easy ones then struggle with the mediums. You will feel struggle and frustrated at first but the more you practice the better you get. At the end you try the hard ones (just like raiding but it will take u tons of hours due to its insane difficulty).

also if you stop practicing, you get rusted and next time you look for a new job you start over again.

exactly like mmo rpg lmaoo.

It is arguably if this is the right approach for hiring to ask these coding questions. But I guess there is no other way to access a person’s quality with short amount of time in an interview. this seems to be just a way to filter out the yoloer :)

Thanks so its like grinding for loot in Destiny :) thought those days were behind me...

I find online code questions very silly.
The best way is to have an interviewer who knows what programming is.
For C++, I reckon it takes 10-15 minutes to test the interviewee.

Rule #1; don't try to bluff your way through the tests.

Bumping this, I hear that a lot of sell-sides even host their online coding tests on Hackerrank. So how come the (somewhat) general consensus is pro-LeetCode over Hackerrank? Is it purely for the fact that you can pay for company specific Q's?

Back